What would the average price of a used one of these be?

Asked by Jul 08, 2012 at 02:03 PM about the 1970 Ford Mustang Base Convertible

It is a 1970 used Ford Mustang convertible, and it is in pretty good condition. I saw one for sale for $14,500 and
was thinking of buying it, but I'm not sure if that is a good price... any thoughts?

1,010

Buying a classic or custom car really depends on the condition and mileage of the car. Also what state is it from? Cars from the northern US can have hidden salt damage for example. Also it depends how bad you want it. The price seems high to me as I have seen them on www.ebay.com/motors at about half the price. Also check with Autotrader.com for a price. Area also makes a differrence. California cars are higher for example than Florida. Different areas have different prices. Hope this helps.

Wisconsin, I thought about the salt stuff but didn't think it would be a big deal, but I thought $14,500 was a pretty high price...

305

http://www.cars-on-line.com/59907.html http://www.benzamotors.com/Cars/AllInventoryVehicleDetails/ tabid/1017/company/BenzaMotors/vin/0F03F190913/Default.a spx http://www.cars-on-line.com/58424.html http://www.cars-on-line.com/53035.html looks like they can go all the way from 6K to 40K, depending on location and condition. hope this helps.

1,010

A friend of mine's son lives in Wisconsin. He recently bought a 1996 Ford P/U, that looked great. When he went to put it up on a hoist, he heard a loud cracking sound. It turned out to be the frame eat away from salt. He paid $1500. for the truck that was supose to be in top shape. He had to sell it to the junk yard for $250.00 . Salt destroyes metal.

165

Salt destroying a vehicle is very true I purchased a truck from Massachusetts and due to the salt on the roads it had eaten holes in to the floor, and rusted all the undercarriage totally destroying it's ability to function properly. You can check with www.nadaguides.com to price the value of the vehicle but until you actually have it checked out properly you may want to rethink this one. ;-}

55

You could inquire with the seller and ask him as to how much restoration was put into this mustang.If it's a frame up restoration, there's a good chance that the chassis along with other area's of the car may have a good corrosion preventive applied.If it's unrestored since it's release or just has a body restoration like panel replacement, body work and paint etc... don't hesitate to have a shop put it up on a lift and inspect the under carriage for any chassis rot etc... You can start off by inspecting the front floor pans, trunk spare tire tub, strut towers etc...If all checks out and depending on the type of restoration, modifications and over all replacement parts and originality , his asking price may be a good place to start but you can always ask what his bottom line price would be. Good luck, hope it works out. Best regards, Mustang Indy

Alright, thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully it'll pay off