my car suddenly stop in middle of road

95

Asked by Jan 09, 2009 at 12:37 PM about the 1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1

i hav a mustang 72 n get a problem when i drive it in street sudenlly it stop n i hav to rest it for a while n the engine can start again, does anyone knows wht is wrong wit my car?

9,335

Hmm... good question... So a 72 Mach 1 that stalls when the engine is hot? Sounds like electrical/ignition issues but I don't know enough about older mustangs to say anything worth reading

1,235

i would think a overheating problem... does it starve and then die or does it just cut out randomly... I would think electrical if suddenly and temp if it starves and then stops..

185

It could be vapour lock, does it happen on hot days when you're stuck in traffic? http://www.vw-resource.com/vapor_lock.html This link explains the problem on a VW, but the principle is the same on any engine with a carb. Hope this helps.

95

thank u, but i think it's about electrical

95

if it electrical problem, wht part will most cause it??? is it can be repaired or i hav to buy new one??? thanks

1,245

my '85 crown vic used to do something Similar. it wouldn't just cut and die, it would chug a little, like it was running out of fuel and then die. then it would kinda act like the battery was low. I'd wait 10 minutes, and she'd fire up again like nothing happened. I've been told a new fuel filter would fix that, I still haven't replaced mine. I ran some carb cleaner through it though, and it doesn't seem to have the problem anymore.

2,400

I'd like to hear more symptoms but it's unlikely that the problem is electrical. In general, an electricl problem will not correct it's self by inactivity. More than likely, it's a fuel delivery problem. I'd check the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Although this is MORE THAN LIKELY NOT RELATED, by chance, did you install Cat Converters on the vehicle? I realize it's pre Cat Converter; BUT, your symptom describes Cat Converter malfunction.

95

thank, i just notice my new accu battery is not working, so is the problem comes from my engine starter?? n it sudenly stop without a chug...help me pleas

5

what it sounds like to me is the fuel filter went.how ever I could not say for sure I would have to see the car in person.

55

ford enginering at its best is all i have to say

25

try your voltage regulator i have a 71 comet that had some of the same problems and its only like a 10 dollar part its worth a shot

1,235

ur a douche

Early Mustang with not much detail as engine etc. If the stock distributor is in use with points. I would look at a break down at the coil being defective. Generally a voltage regulator will create a no charge or overcharge. As a safe measure check the ignitionn resistance wire. If you opted for a pertronix to replace points, they will go bad with the improper coil or leaving the vehicle in the on position while sitting. Without knowing more, I have had a starter silonoid go bad after warming up.