Ok so....

35

Asked by Nov 08, 2009 at 09:18 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

I am in the process of purchasing an all orginal 1968 gt 500.......
my dad is purchasing a 69 gt 500 from the same guy...
he doesnt know what they are because they are just sitting in the woods on some of his property.

and the question is...
should i keep it all original or change it up a little bit... meaning the outside paint color.
the paint was changed once before because the paint codes don't match up to the color on the outside and there is a little flaking of the blue revealing a red undercoat....
i really want it to match my 2009 roush which u can see in my profile... Black and Gold.

Input please.

175

If the car(s) are numbers matching, I would try to keep them as original as possible. Changing the paint color doesn't usually hurt the value of an original car because it can easily be changed. When you start changing parts with date codes cast into them and then sell or get rid of the parts it becomes much harder to return it to its original state. If all you want to do is change the color and add some bolt on parts, I say go for it, I did with my 67 Mustang. Just make sure to keep the parts you take off.

35

well everything else is original..... all number are matching... we did our research.... the only thing is the paint codes dont match the actual paint.

a pearl black will be nice, but check the ##ok

175

I would change it to match your Roush. As I said, the fact that the color doesn't match the tags isn't a big deal, someone already changed it and you're thinking of changing it too. Chances are, if you ever sell it the next owner might change it too. My Mustang went from its original red to green, black, midnight blue to Ford 2008 Vista blue. When I got the car stripped I saw all the different layers of paint. What area are you in that you actually found 2 Shelbys sitting on someones land, I only wish!!

35

im from Atlanta Georgia.... I was riding my dirtbike around about 5 years ago and found them.... we have been trying to buy them for a while... and we are getting a sweet buy...... right at 6k cash for both..... like i said the guy is like 100 years old....

35

Put them back to original condition. If the cars are what you say they are, then why mess with them? You'll regret it later if you start hacking them up. :)

35

im not hacking them up.... they are going to stay 100% original except mine... the paint color... i want it black instead of red.