Stuck throttle

Asked by Jan 07, 2016 at 10:13 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

I have a 1968 thunderbird with a 429 and
my throttles stuck open and it's not my
cable what could it b

If it's not cable then probably butterfly in carb. Pull off air filter housing and flip it shut. If it does it again, you can either get a new carb or try to clean the one you have. Personally I would ger a new one , depending on how old it is

97,265

Disconnect the throttle cable just to make sure it isn't binding, if the throttle still won't drop to the throttle stop then make sure the choke is off all the way and the fast idle cam is in the full drop position, if that checks good then the problem is internal, i have seen warped throttle plates, worn out throttle shafts and bushings, if that is the case, try to find someone that can put bushings in, you may have to rebuild your carb but using the factory one is better than trying to find a good rebuilt one from a parts store. HTH

70,455

Make sure the throttle return spring is still hooked up.

15

Others have mentioned the first things to check. I would look at: 1) throttle spring 2) butterfly valve (this is connected to the throttle spring) 3) cable action to the spring 4) cable connection to the gas pedal