if you drop the transmission pan to change the filter, how much transmission fluid to I need to add for a 68 automatic 289 engine mustang

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 08:22 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang Base

I believe it to be around six quarts...including the torque converter which is full of fluid...my 59 Catalina with 86,000 miles had "Varnish" for ATF ....man that car could go like HELL with the 389...until someone coming out of the gym ran the red light and clobbered the front quarter...making a rhombus out of the K-car....the wife had to go to court twice for the parking meters that were obliterated~

Nothing beats single cylinder braking with a rusted non-functioning parking brake and no seatbelts...a couch seat for the front seat (wish they still made them like that) when in danger scrub up against the curb to stop~

90,655

Don't forget to drain the torque converter too, be careful when you replace the filter you don't loose the little spring and valve that fits in the valve body. Six quarts sounds right, add 4 quarts first before you start it, add 1 more and recheck for proper level, engine warm at idle in park to read fluid level.

6,395

Your car should have a C-4 or Cruise-O-Matic transmission. Six quarts is too much. The C-4 has a smaller pan than the bigger C-6 tranny, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 Qts. for a standard depth pan and filter. thus being called a C-4. A C-6 transmission would hold 6 quarts. Some let more out and some keep more in. Depends on the condition of the internals of the converter and the front pump.Usually less than 4.5 qts though. but MAKE SURE YOU USE ONLY "TYPE-F" AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. There are many types of trans fluid out there and Ford had specifics for using type F back in the 1960's and 70's in all their transmissions. Don't use any other type They might look and smell the same but they have different properties and should NOT be mixed. Ford states that The frictional characteristics of an automatic transmission fluid are an important factor in the design and operation of the transmission. All Ford Motor Company transmissions built prior to 1977, and certain models that continued in use during 1977-1980, were designed for a high-friction fluid that allowed the shifting clutches to lock up or engage quickly. Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F covers this type of product, which is commonly referred to as "Type F" fluid. Type F is the appropriate product for these units. USE TYPE-F ONLY in an older Ford tranny.. Hope this helps. Kenny / MrBlueOval.