Hi guys. Can someone share a step-by-step guide to replace my 1968 mustang alternator? Thanks

Asked by Jul 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM about the 1968 Ford Mustang Base

My charging system is not working properly. The alternator is the culprit. I need a step-
by-step guide to replace it myself. I will buy a new one that is identical to the original one.

Ok, this is for before serpentine belts. "Classic" Mustang" Remove the battery ground cable from the battery Loosen the two alternator mounting bolts with a wrench. One mounting bolt is located at the top of the alternator, while the other bolt is located at the bottom of the alternator. Note that the bracket that the bottom bolt fits through is slotted. This slot is used to adjust the tension on the alternator’s belt, and will be important when installing the new alternator. As both bolts are loosened, the alternator will pivot towards the engine and loosen the belt. Rotate the alternator to access the wires connected to the back of the alternator. Note the location where each wire attaches to the back of the alternator. Pull back the rubber boot at the tip of each alternator wire, where the wire attaches to the alternator, to expose each wire’s retaining nut. Remove the nut which secures each wire to the back of the alternator with a wrench, then pull the wires off of the alternator. Slide the metal tip of each alternator wire onto its threaded rod on the back of the replacement alternator, then tighten the wire’s retaining nut onto the threaded rod. Press the rubber boot at the tip of each wire over the wire’s retaining nut. Position the new alternator behind its two mounting brackets, then hand-tighten the alternator’s two retaining bolts through the brackets and into the alternator. Position the alternator belt within the grove of the alternator’s pulley, then pull the alternator away from the engine until the belt is tight. Tighten the alternator’s lower retaining bolt with a wrench while maintaining pressure on the drive belt, then tighten the upper retaining bolt. Install the battery ground cable to the battery with a wrench.

Best Answer

Under top radiator hose ...buy new belt also....click picture

Well they deleted my picture already

Awesome guys, thanks a lot!

Adjust the belt tention so there's 1/2 deflection midway between the alternator pulley and whatever (water pump, crankshaft, etc.) other pulley drives the alternator. In a few weeks, check belt tention again, adjust as needed. This will save your alternator bearings and prevent slipping. Then after the final adjustment you'll be good to go. HTH. -Jim

Thanks Jim. I am struggling with the darn bolts that are stuck. The one in the bottom seems to be turning, but not sure whether I should remove it even though the one in the top is seized. I have applied some penetrating oils hoping the bolts will loosen.

You're welcome. The penetrating oil should free it up. Keep working at it. You'll get it. -Jim

Finally, the alternator came out but not without a mighty fight. Now I am purchasing the new one and back to assembling by the end of the week. Thanks for the help.

Cool, very glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know. Glad to help. -Jim