Problems starting my 78.

5

Asked by Apr 22, 2014 at 12:43 AM about the 1978 Ford Mustang Hatchback

Heya fellow Motor Heads, let me start off by saying that I am very new to the whole
mechanics culture so I apologize in advance for any misused terminology or odd
wording. With that outa the way, let me start by telling you where I'm at.
Last summer, I was really looking forward to becoming a mechanic and I really enjoy
working with my hands, and past family members have always been into heavy
machinery. For this reason, I bought myself a genuine pony 2 from a neighbor. That's
right, a 1978 v4, 2.3L Mustang 2. I pushed myself without an assistance to do whatever
work I could on the already running car. I popped off the fuel tank to check out when
kinda sender I was working with, and ended up just replacing the tank all together,
along with ripping the carpet and upholstery up, and many other things I've run into a
problem with starting the car all together.
Like I said, I ripped off the fuel tank and threw a knew one in, I found that the solenoid
in the started had somehow lost a piece and wasn't getting pushed far enough up to
connect with the fly wheel, but instead was grinding the gears, so I had it flipped and re
surfaced. I also tore out all the wiring from the battery to exterior solenoid to the starter.
Finally, I replaced the fuel pump, and check all the lines for blockage. My reasoning for
checking all the fuel problems, was that when I took the line off from the fuel pump to
the carburetor, it spat two pumps of gas and then stopped all together... The Weird part
is, that the fuel is being spat out the overflow line instead of going to the carburetor.
At this very moment, -the car turns over completely with no problems. -The line from
the tank to the fuel pump gets filled with gas if you turn the car over enough. -The Fuel
pump spits fuel from the overflow line to the tank -The Fuel pump DOES NOT send gas
past the pump itself
My guess is that the internal bowl in the carb that holds gas is full, and is telling the
fuel pump to not bring any more fuel up.
Furthermore, my question to you, fellow Motor Heads, is what might be the problem
here? my guess is that its some sort of ignition problem but i'm not sure what to check
to conclude my hypothesis.
Any help whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lexikoh.

20,805

loosen the line at the carb a little and crank some fuel should push out ,wrap a rag around line first. If so, your almost right the bowel was filled and needed no more fuel.at one time but the float valve that stops the overfilling of the bowel has the needle stuck in its seat holding out a refill. hammer on carb a little it may jar it loose, or remove the carb top and lift it up and inspect the float and rubber tipped needle

5

Hey thanks for the quick reply. When I turn the car over with the line off at the carb, no fuel comes out unless there was already fuel in the line before hand, if that makes sense...If I funnel fuel into that line and then try turning it over, all that happens is the fuel that was in that lines comes out, then nothing else comes out... So should I follow threw with removing the top of the carb and looking for that float?

20,805

no, the pump sounds shot,

20,805

the alcohol in the fuel ruins the older pumps and has been creating havoc for tens of thousands, boats, mowers , antiques and classics although what do they care including the Washington crowd. Its just the consumers

5

The weird thing, is that I just recently bought and installed a new pump. The even weirder thing, is that the gas doesnt go past the fuel pump into the line to the carb, but instead is pumped through the overflow line... That to me seems like the pump is working, am I wrong on this?