1986 Mustang atf leakage

25

Asked by Jul 17, 2013 at 01:54 PM about the 1986 Ford Mustang LX Convertible

I have a 1986 Mustang 3.8 L LX that smokes , the smoke is white,I have changed
everything within the engine to correct this to no avail.Some body mentioned to me
that it could be the front transmission seal leaking into the engine.Have you heard of such
a thing?? The transmission does leak atf from the front.Thank You in advance for your help.

yes, the bottom of your radiator has a connection so the transmission fluid can be kept cool too....are you getting coolant in the transmission...that would be a concern if this were the case, as far as the engine....thru this radiator is the only space where transmission fluid would have any hope of getting into the engine....have you checked your transmission fluid lately?

White/blueish smoke from tailpipe is oil burning, or possibly if you are loosing a lot of coolant that white smoke is water/coolant steam, if you are loosing a lot of coolant, but generally white/blue tint is oil. Listen to JudgeRoy about the transmission but also keep an eye on coolant levels

Oh yeah, that's right. A transmission seal will not leak transmission fluid in to crankcase

a breech in the cooling jacket at the radiator transmission side would produce this...thing is would go both ways, no? which is more pressurized one might ask?

23,785

The front Pump seal generally blows out and disables the car within seconds or does not leak - almost NO in-between. The trans cooler has much higher pressure than the radiator (when running in gear) BUT, neither will cause white smoke from the tailpipe. Look for: Coolant being burned, trans oil being sucked up through the Transmission vacuum modulator, (still had one in '86) fuel pressure regulator failure, good ol' condensation at start-up, valve seals. When does it smoke? cold, warm, accelerating, at idle? Does it smell like oil, gasoline or antifreeze? Are any of your fluids going low - engine oil, antifreeze, ATF? Do your fluids look normal? How does it run?

25

Thanks Guys I have replaced the heads,valve stem seals,fuel pressure reg,checked all vaccumn lines and spark plugs and wires.I pressure checked the coolant lines,had the compression checked (90lbs) throughout all cylinders. replaced the computer nothing helped.I do appricate your advice.

25

Tracy, I can find no leakage in the fluid levels,the smoke smells acrid but has no distinct odor

23,785

Darn. I was hoping it was the fuel pressure regulator. The vacuum line will be full of gasoline.

fuel pressure and transmission exist in different parts of town~

23,785

Right....he's trying to pin down smoke.

25

Guys, Thanks for your help.I might add I checked the cats to see if they may be plugged ,they were empty.Do you think It may be something internal? This is the most puzzling problem I have ever faced,can you think of any test I can do? The big problem is the smoke,it seems to be more under pressure.

the PCV (positive Crankcase Ventilllation valve) $5 item may be full of oily grease blockin' the ventillation of it~

25

thanks Judge, believe it or not I changed it also

25

Guys, Do you think this is internal? I have done every shadetree test I know and checked all the fluids for signs of a problem to no avail.Thanks for all your help.

you must look at the coolant lines leaving the transmission body to the radiator with the flexible connection to the radiator...look closely for fluid....use a piece of white kleenex to "swab it down" to find the red leaker~...leaks are the only logical answer...has nothing to do with the combustion...this is a separate issue~

if it was internal would slip and not function properly~

Your second PCV gets clobbered up, just put a new one in there...they are like $1.91...a small price to pay for not smokin'~

25

Thanks I will put a new one in today

25

Put in a new pvc no change? Is their a place I can find a vacuum diagram for this car.Thanks again

25

Just a note---The exhaust pipe is dripping a clear liquid and if I reach up in the exhaust I get a dark carbon residue

6,395

Run the engine for 20 minutes then put the palm of your hand over the end of the tailpipe(becareful not too close to burn your hand) Maybe about a half inch to one inch away. Hold it there for about 30 seconds, then pull your hand away and check the palm. If it's wet and slippery then you are burning coolant. If you hand is dry, then it's not burning coolant and you have a different problem. White smoke or white fog? Thick white smoke is an oil burning problem, maybe bad rings. White fog is condensation(water or coolant burning) If it's actually smoke, I would check the valve seals or you may have pinched a gasket or pinched or moved a rear or front intake manifold seal. The 5.0L engines are notorious for the rear seal getting dislodged or blowing out so I would check that. You might have to pull the intake to really check it depending on how much room you got between the back of the intake and the firewall. The transmission can't leak into the the engine but it can leak down on top of the exhaust pipes causing all kinds of white smoke coming from under the car. Those years Stangs are also known for that problem too. My son's '86 had the same problem and it actually caught the car on fiire so be careful. You can also try running a can of Seafoam thru the engine, then do an oil change and see if that makes a difference. You can pour it in the oil or pour it in your vacuum lines normally thru thr hose that feeds the power brake booster. I've never used it myself but have heard some good news from using it. It will clear up a lot of problems. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

vacuum diagram one~

Diagram 2...a little more detail~