Guys I have a 1986 lx 3.8 it is smoking white smoke

Asked by Jun 07, 2013 at 08:27 PM about the 1986 Ford Mustang LX Convertible

I am at a loss, I purchased a 1986 mustang 3.8 lx convertible.It smoked under load.
I replaced the heads all gaskets and ran a pressure test and compression test (all Good)
Started engine ran perfectly except for the white smoke.Can you help? Thanks

Probably your piston rings are shot if in fact the engine got too hot from your head gasket leak. But your compression numbers were good? hmmmm. One way to check if they are bad is when the engine is running, take off the oil filler cap and there will be a huge gush of air flowing out at you. Using thicker oil might be a temp. solution in your case.

How long did you let the engine run? I am thinking that maybe the catalysts might have coolant in them, if that is the case then it will take quite a while to get it burned out of them. Also be aware that the O2 sensors might just give up they don't like coolant in the exhaust.

Ya know, these guys covered it well but the first thing that came to my mind is a blown out diaphragm on a fuel pressure regulator. Easy to check - pull the vacuum line on the regulator and see if any gasoline comes out of the vacuum line. DO NOT DO IT WITH A RUNNING ENGINE! If it is blown, there will be a considerable amount of gasoline present - you can't miss it. Way too much fuel will smoke white like that too.

Jacob Gonzales

Have you tried letting of the gas , maybe getting rid of the racing slicks ???