89 ford gt mustang 5.0 v8 ignition issue no spark

Asked by Dec 19, 2015 at 11:25 AM about the 1989 Ford Mustang GT

Ohkay... So inparked my car and after a heavy and
cold rain storm i went to leave work maybe 12
hours after parking to a car that will crank and crank
but wont turn over i can get a good spark coming
from the coil to the wire nothing got wet but also
the distributor rotor will not turn i have checked the
cam and it rotates but the rotor does not... Im out of
ideas and i get no spark from the plugs except from
the coil the rotor will not spin when i crank the pin is
not sheared the gears on the shaft of the distributor
and the cam are good oil pump spins when i throw
a socket and extension doen there so i dont think it
is seized could use any ideas you guys got thank
you i appreciate everyone that helps...!

72,415

Well, you know what the problem is...the rotor not spinning. My first thoughts on this is the distributor gear on the shaft. The pin shears on these, common problem, so did you grab the gear hard and hang onto it while trying to turn the rotor? It can't be the cam gear as that is machined right into the cam shaft. So you must have pulled the distributor, are you putting it back in right?

Ohkay so i did what you said and it turns out i can hold onto the gear and spin the rotor freely i already realise this is my problem so what would that be is it the pin that is bad? I notice that it does still have the pin in it but i cannot look through and through it like i can on my other bbf distributor can i buy a new pin?

72,415

Common problem with the older Fords. I believe that may be a roll pin. Work the gear off and tap the old pin out. Since you are that far pull the hole shaft out and clean it up good, and lube it up with some assembly fluid. Take the hole distributor to the parts store with the gear to find a new best fit roll pin to go threw and be long enough to hold both sides of the gear. The pin should fit snug and the length should not per-trued past the O.D. of the gear. Line up the holes and install the new pin threw the gear and shaft by tapping it into place. You are going to have to line timing back up in order to reinstall the distributor. If you need help with that let me know.

Ohkay so i got a new pin and installed it and behold my beast fires up once again times it and everything but now im getting no oil pressure i know that the rod rubs from the bottom of the dizzy to the oil pump is something not lining up? Thx for your help by the wat!

72,415

Ah, is that a hex oil pump shaft? And is the distributor seated all the way down?

72,415

Say, that oil pressure concerns me. The distributor shaft drives the oil pump...

6,575

Have seen what Rowefast is stating more times than I can count. Those pins shear and the oil pump shaft gets twisted into a piece of art or get misaligned and not put in the correct place.

Hahaha my oil pump shaft looked so symetrical i thought it was suppose to be like that went to orileys bought a new one seated it in plugged everything back together and to my surprise fired up still no pressure shut it off checked the rod and guess what... Twisted like a drill bit tried to turn it with a screwdriver and socket nothing... Oil pump must ve seized up which wiuld explain why the pin snapped and no oil pressure looks like a project for next saturday

72,415

That will do it! At least you know it runs, now just have to drop the pan and put in a new oil pump. Put in new shafts for the distributor I say this because I seem to remember a fiber gear to attach the 2 shafts going to the distributor. I guess you'll have to check the bottom of the distributor to make sure it is not all stripped out for the oil pump shaft.

Thank you for your help prolly would have still been stuck thinking it was lack of spark(which it was but you know what i mean) (; much appreciated!!