Tail lights

5

Asked by May 29, 2008 at 06:13 PM about the 1995 Acura Integra GS-R Hatchback

When I use the brakes in my car (with headlights off), only one filament turns on in my right tail light (both filaments should turn on). At night, when i have my headlights on and i use the brakes, neither of the filaments turns on (the light goes completely out until i let go of the brakes). I'm guessing it's an electrical problem. Is there any way to fix this without going to a mechanic and having to pay lots of $$$?

55

if you feel confident, i'd say trying removing the tail lights yourself which isnt too hard. look for any wires that's been tempered with. if you got the car used, sounds like the wires been tempered with, look for spliced wires, taped, cut, etc. you can also get wiring colors on google or honda forums like hondatech.com. if its all good behind the taillights, then it could be your relay switch gone bad. you could rig something up with the existing wires behind the tail lights but that really depends on whats good and what not, could also just run new wires from the fuse box at the kick panel.

5

My mother bought this car new in '95 and I started driving it in January of '07. I'm pretty sure the lights have been fine up until a few weeks ago. I installed an aftermarket stereo and speakers back in september '07, so i'm guessing maybe that could have messed something up? I got the stereo and speakers from www.crutchfield.com and they sent me all the necessary wires and instructions I needed for that. Other than that, I didn't do anything that would involve wiring or anything electrical with the car.

145

sounds like short to ground on the brake light circuit. its gonna take some time to find it. do you have a multimeter?

5

Yes, I do

145

find yourself a wiring diagram for the brake light circuit, and lookup on google how to do a voltage drop test, and resistance check