I've got a 2006 Subaru Outback that just had the engine replaces. Occasionally when I step on the gas coming out of a turn, like entering a highway, it misfires a little and the check engine like blinks a few times then goes out. The code says misfire in #3 cylinder. What would cause this?

Asked by Apr 06, 2015 at 07:23 PM about the 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Wagon

Misfire when stepping on the gas coming out of a turn.

Try replacing your forward O2 sensor.

I have a question for you. At what mileage on the odometer and what was the root cause for having to replace the engine, and was it a 2.5 Four cylinder?

I just bought the car. The odometer has a little over 100,000 miles on it, the engine only about 2,000. I don't know the reason the engine was replaced. It is a 2.5i 4 cylinder engine. Carfax didn't show any major problems with the car and it isn't a salvage vehicle.

Do you mind me asking, did you purchase the car from a new car dealer, used car dealer, private party or auction? And, what was the sales price? Sounds like this particular car was not well cared for? I'm surprised you actually had a Carfax report, did it list the service records on the car?

I'm going to guess here and say that the original engine overheated severely, blew up the head gaskets and possibly warped the heads. But, no matter, you've got a new engine now. What about the transmission?

Hmm, I was just wondering how a car with only 2,000 miles on the clock could be misfiring? Did they tell you that it's a rebuilt engine, exchange engine or a new engine. There's a world of difference between these three. What did they tell you and why can't you bring the car back to where you purchased it for them to help you?

I bought it from a reputable used car dealership that deals in mostly high end cars, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.$11,000. He said it was a new engine. I have brought it back to their shop and the guy says it looks okay. (?) The transmission seems fine.

You paid $11k, there should be a warranty..

3 months or 3,000

OK, a brand new engine should run perfectly, do you know if it's the new FB series? If it is, you know that it's been known to burn a little oil and needs synthetic oil. Or, is an older EJ series engine?

So, I imagine that it's past 90 days since or have you already put 3,000 miles on the car since you bought it? You did pay $11,000 for this car? Depending upon the precise model you bought, this may or may not have been a good deal? Is it the 2.5-liter Limited? And, do you know which engine you have?

My personal opinion about this is if you're interested in buying a used car purchase it from a new car dealership. Used car dealers are just one step above getting a car from an auction, also an unwise idea. I'm sure you thought you were getting a fantastic deal, but, the sweetness of a good price goes away with poor service and the lack of attention to details that's required when someone sells something of lesser value. A car is one of the two largest purchases people make and getting a problem is not worth saving a few dollars. It's too late for you, but, maybe other people reading this post can learn something from your experience. Sorry you're having to deal with this.