Oil pressure light

Asked by Dec 26, 2015 at 11:38 PM about the 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Hey, I just bought a 2006 a4 2.0 and the red oil
pressure light keep coming on. I got the oil pan
drop and clean pick up tube and change the oil and
still th light comes on. Anybody know what could
cause this or having the same problem ? Would
love to get some feed back. Thank you.

Could be the relief valve, near the oil filter, is stuck open. Or it could be the first sign of worn crankshaft bearings. For testing purposes remove the oil pressure sending switch and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. This will tell you what your pressure really is. The pressures will be higher when the engine is cold. When fully warmed up it should be around 25 to 35 PSI. If it looks good on the gauge, replace the pressure switch. HTH. -Jim

Thank you for your responds means alot... Took this Video today, just wanna get you input. Thank you. https://vimeo.com/150123746

I noticed that your tach was reading about 1500 RPMs when the oil alarm went off. That seems to me to be a blockage or worn oil pump. With 122,000 miles on it that's not impossible. Especially if the vehicle has been neglected. Worn bearings will cause an oil pressure problem at idle, not while driving. I'd replace the relief valve and hook up a mechanical oil gauge for testing purposes. If the relief valve solves the problem great! If the mechanical gauge shows good pressure then the oil pressure sending unit is bad. Either way you definitely need to know what the pressure actually is. I'm assuming that you've checked the oil level on the dipstick and it's full? No fooling, we had a guy come in today (I work at NAPA) to buy oil and a filter for his wife's car. She said the oil light came on at a stop light. He checked her oil and it was 4 quarts low!! HTH. -Jim

Hey Jim, thank you again, great info by the way. I did bring the car in to get this problem check out and got a oil change, oil pan clean, pick up tube clean last week, after leaving the shop drove a few miles up the road and it came back on. I will get the oil pan drop again and see if there's any thing wrong with the oil pump. The guy did say the oil cooler looks like it's leaking can that be the problem or part of it ? Thanks again.

And the light only comes on when I'm driving.

You're welcome. Glad to help. Yes, if the oil cooler is leaking the pump may be sucking air. This will cause a drop in oil pressure. One more thing I just thought of. If you have too much oil in the engine it will foam and the oil pressure will drop enough to trigger the light and alarm while driving. Because again, the oil pump will be sucking air (foam) instead of oil. HTH. -Jim

Damn where you been this who time. Lol lol lol lol. Thank you again Jim, so first I shoul take care of the oil cooler then see what happens, or just change them both ?

One more thing I forgot to mention Jim, when the guy took down the oil pan he did say there was metal shavings in the pan. Any idea ?

Since you know the oil cooler is leaking I'd address that first. Then see where you are. The metal shavings, if not excessive, could be normal for a vehicle with 122,000 miles on it. Things wear. If there were a lot of shavings that's cause for concern! Possibly bearings grinding away from lack of lubrication. HTH. -Jim