Any way to prevent transmission problems?

80

Asked by Nov 23, 2015 at 09:27 PM about the 2007 Ford Five Hundred Limited

We just bought a 2007 Ford Five Hundred today "as is" at 125,567 miles.
Right now, it seems to ride fine. But I'm reading horror stories about the
transmission at higher mileages. I don't know which transmission it has
except for the listing says 6-speed, and we can feel it shift smoothly.

Is there anything we can do to prevent the transmission from going bad like
they tend to in these cars BEFORE it happens? I've read something about
software upgrades. Would having the software upgraded maybe prevent the
problem? And how much does it cost to have that done?

So-called software upgrades are a rip-off. A drain-and-refill of fluid will do no harm. But whatever you do, do not have it flushed. A flush will pick up small particles on the bottom of the pan - where they do no harm- and circulate them them through your transmission doing far more harm than benefit. It does have a filter that can be changed - http://www.ebay.com/sch/Ford-Five-Hundred-Transmission-Filters/33662/bn_1384285/i.html

80

FordNut, do you know anything specific to this transmission? We had a Buick before with transmission problems, and it just sounds like it was built wrong. The Buick was programmed to shift slightly wrong, and it bucked. From what I've been reading tonight, it sounds like the 500 might have similar - or worse - issues. I've also read something about making sure transmission maintenance was done at 60,000 miles on these to hopefully prevent these terrible issues.

No I don't. It appears you have done more research that I have on that particular model. I know a little, but now convinced less than you. Sorry 'bout that and best of luck. I had a Buick Regal and at 73,000 miles was purring just fine

56,775

Maintenance is the key. I would use synthetic fluid, change the filter and look into adding a bigger transmission cooler. For pickup trucks you can add a deep pan to increase fluid capacity and maybe you can for your car too.

56,775

Oh and - Hi Ford!

56,775

Shift kits reduce the amount of slipping during gear changes and might be worth installing. I know I like mine in the Ford I have.

Hi and good evening back at ya. I couldn't agree more, maintenance is key, and very good point about shift kits.... but I stand by no flush

56,775

I have never flushed a trans but have never worn out a trans either. I think your point on flushes is well taken. Do you think a flush of a trans with burnt fluid would be a good idea?

If a transmission has like 200,000 miles on it and is on it's way out anyway, with brown-burnt fluid then yeah, a flush will/maybe get a few more miles (how many? Impossible to say) out of it. That's about all.

I don't know about the Ford 500 but many cars have a magnet on the pan or drain plug the collects steel 'dust' and a flush washes them off back up in to the innards of trans. I know my Toyota has that. Some magnets are on the plug that can be cleaned without dropping pan

80

My family once had a Mazda with issues and the whole no flush thing. So far, it LOOKS like maybe the horror stories are only about the CVT transmission. And I'm pretty sure we have a 6-speed. So, I'm hoping we dodged the bullet there. The CVT issue was so bad that there was a government investigation and recall, I think.

80

Here's a link to the horror stories. http://repairpal.com/harsh-or-dalayed-shifting-of-automatic- transmission-236

56,775

Maybe B&M makes a deep pan for the 500. I need on for my truck.

80

Wikipedia implies this car comes with one of two transmissions (ZF Batavia CFT30 CVT and 6-speed Aisin F21 automatic). So, I'm hoping the problems were mainly from the CVT version of the car.

Educational article from repairpal. I learned a lot

80

FordNut, since I really don't speak mechanic-ese, would you mind telling me if what you read on RepairPal sounds like our 6-speed will have these problems?

56,775

The link did not work for me.

In 2007 CVT concept was very young. I bet my bottom dollar that you are right, the problems are with the CVT

I got the dreaded 404 also. You have to click on 'search google for http://repairpa..' and it's the one on top

80

Regrets, there's a space slipped into the url. When you put it into you address bar, find the space and delete it. Ford, I REALLY hope you're right! Thank you guys so much for your input!

Short version - No. You will not