power no ignition

Asked by Mar 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM about the 2007 Chrysler Pacifica Touring

New battery but car won't start. No sound from starter but power is on?

Bkg I think the reason that almost an hour has gone by and nobody responded is b/c not enough information. Was it running OK before the new battery? And I do not want to insult you, but sometimes when you buy a new battery, the electrolytes come in a separate bottle and you have to put it in. I know a fellow that did that and couldn't figure out why his brand new battery was dead. Now, if you can tell us more it would help. You have a ? by power is on?

98,165

If the battery has electrolyte, is it fully charged?

No. When a new battery has the electrolytes put in is is about 50% to 70% charged. It needs to be charged, either if the car will start or a charger, preferably the charger before use.

It was the starter, was told by another tech that it was ignition switch.

This is what happened to me. The starter would not turn. Warning lights illuminated with turning the key. The battery was charged. Couldn't hear the starter solenoid click. The starter relay in the fuse box was verified good. I jumped the relay circuit and the starter still didn't turn. Removed exhaust manifold (got lucky with MOPAR shit hardware, replaced with stainless and lots of Antisieze). Removed starter, bench checked, determined to be bad. Replaced, same symptom. Swore a lot. Inst new ground jumper. No key start, BUT, when I jumped the relay the starter would turn the engine over. Turned the key to RUN position, turned with relay jumper. No start. Got lucky and decided to try start with key in start position. Engine started BUT starter stayed engaged due to the relay being jumped. Starter stayed engaged with engine running for 4 seconds, no apparent damage to new starter. Drove to trusted shop. I worked with mechanic (I'm licensed aircraft mech) Previously I inspected the ground cable attached to the trans, looked ok to me. He gave it a tug and the bolt head snapped off from the shank. Dissimilar metal corrosion ruined the ground circuit. Repositioned main ground to starter attach bolt. Problem solved. Lessons learned, Chrysler has had a rash of bad ignition switches. The starter solenoid clicking after I installed the aux ground wire led me to think the starter switch was not engaging fully due to the transfer link being damaged as was the case in the recall vehicles of the same years. Separate grounds are a mystery. Before you do anything for a no start, REPLACE the main chassis ground. Next car will be manufactured prior to 1965.