What is your recommendation?

Asked by Jul 30, 2013 at 08:38 PM about the 2007 Chrysler Aspen 4 Dr Limited AWD E Package

I have a 2007 Chrysler Aspen that I bought new. The 1st year Chrysler dealer replaced
my GPS/CD/AMFM/Sirius Satellite unit 3 times under warranty and once for free when
out of warranty. Each time they just stopped working. About 2009 both front windows
and moon roof started leaking water badly when raining to saturate the front floor
carpets, front leather seats and front door armrests. Was fixed free by dealer even
though out of warranty. August 2012, Aspen just stopped and stalled. Wouldn't even
turn over. Had to be towed to Chrysler dealer. They had it for 2 months while I was in
bed recuperating from an accident. It was all computer/electronic/electrical issues.
They replaced clock spring, ECM and other electronics under the hood. The bill was
$2500.00 and I told them I wouldn't pay that. After speaking with Chrysler in Detroit, we
all agreed on my paying $500.00 which I did. About three to four months ago, the
check engine light came on and the a/c in front would blow but not cold at all. The rear
stopped blowing and cooling. Then I noticed that the check engine light would come on
at about 1/4 tank of gas to 1/8 tank of gas. When I would get gas, the check engine
light would go off and the a/c in front would blow cold again until check engine light
came back on with 1/8 tank of gas then no cold a/c again until I got more gas. The rear
a/c has not worked since stopping in February or March. About three weeks ago during
a very hard and long rain storm, both front side windows and moon roof leaked again
saturating front leather seats, headliner around moon roof, both front arm rests and
front carpets with rain. Also that day, all four power windows stopped working up or
down. Since then they've only worked twice. Sometimes cruise control and green
cruise control light will not "power on" when engaged from steering wheel. By the way,
I'm very meticulous with my Aspen and it has only 53,500 miles on it. One doesn't
need to be a mechanic to know there has been an ongoing
electronic/computer/electrical issue with this vehicle since I bought it. This was my
favorite auto ever bought (and I'm 59 years old) until it became completely unreliable.
Now, I just have to hold my breath when driving now because something else will stop
working soon. I'm pretty sure, due to time passage and mileage that I don't qualify for
the Lemon Law anymore. I feel like my Aspen must have been assembled on a
Saturday or Sunday when somebody had a hangover! :-) Any help you can give me
would be greatly appreciated.Totally frustrated in New Bern, NC.

26,735

It sounds like you have two options either trade it and get into something more reliable ( do your research before purchasing, check actual owners reviews ) or keep it and pray nothing to crazy happens with it. Now you can check into the lemon laws your Aspen definitly had enough issues that it seems like it would qualify, its probly down to the age now! I personally would get out, it seems like this thing has been a nightmare from the get go. Good luck!

27,435

My FIRST recommendation, which you can act on immediately, is to sign up for a Consumer Reports.org subscription. This will quite literally SAVE from buying ANOTHER automotive disaster like the Chrysler Aspen! SECOND recommendation: Get RID of that nightmare on wheels and into a vehicle that you can drive without stressing out over "what's gonna break down next". Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge has a bad track record in terms of reliability...Their cars and trucks are sub-standard compared with most of what's on the roads today. I'm NOT saying to NOT buy American...what I AM saying is that you need to become an educated consumer when it comes to the purchase of a car/truck.

Thanks a bunch guys! I really can't afford another vehicle right now but I also can't afford anymore repairs & unreliability. I agree with y'all.

27,435

jlstanley1954 ...Hopefully, you will soon be in a position to trade it in and get a moderately priced car/truck...Do you absolutely NEED to have a large SUV? Can you get by with a smaller vehicle?

26,735

If its paid off or close to paid off you could always try carmax since they buy cars outright. If they offer enough you could maybe find a good used car / suv that you could buy cash.

27,435

Very good suggestion @ Michael :)

26,735

Thanks, I noticed that we both called the Apsen a nitemare! LOL No offense jlstanley, please let us know if you have futher questions as we are more than happy to try to help.