Will not shift from low gear

280

Asked by Dec 07, 2013 at 03:10 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu LT

there is only 135000km  on car worked just fine before  What can I check to find the problem Thank you
Otto

56,775

I'd check for a bad electrical connection. Especially at the transmission. HTH. -Jim

280

Jim I could not see any bad electrical connections I tryed many times to get a OBD II Code Reader to read cods but all I got was ERROR reading What do u think might be wrong ? Otto

56,775

Hi Otto, is your check engine light on? If not, there's no trouble codes stored. Try this, turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. The check engine light should be on with the engine not running. Can you try your code reader on another OBD II (1996 or newer) vehicle? If it were a fault within the transmission, say a bad shift solenoid, the check engine light would come on and you'd get a trouble code. Is your speedometer working? If not it could be a failed vehicle speed sensor. If your code reader works properly on another vehicle and the check engine light doesn't come on when you perform the above test check your fuses. The one for the computer may be blown. If that's ok I'd suspect a computer problem. HTH. -Jim

280

Hi Jim, Yes the engine light is on all the time every time I try the code reader it comes up ERROR I tryed the reader on a 1998 chev pickup and it read the code ok I will check the fuses and computer on Monday Jim I do have another 2006 Malibue for most any part I would need Thanks I will talk to you on monday Otto

56,775

Ok, Otto, sounds good. Talk to you then. -Jim

280

Jim, Good Monday I checked All the fuses & Relays in the fuse box under the hood 40+ and they were all Good is there any more I can check........How do you check trans fluid when there is no dip stick ? My Computer has two plugins the other car I spoke about has three plugins...................... Otto

56,775

Hi Otto, I did some more research on this over the weekend. It seems that beginning with the 2008 model year a new type of software has been mandated. It's called CAN. Older scanners (like mine for example) can't communicate with the newer faster computer systems. Apparently GM started using this CAN technology as early as 2006. I found a thread on another site where a guy with a 2006 trailblazer was having the same trouble with his scanner as you. Glad to hear all the fuses are good. Your transmission may be sealed and not have a dipstick. Try calling your local Chevy dealer or check your owner's manual to conferm that. Some newer imports are like that. If you can get to a local auto parts store such as Advance or Autozone they'll scan it for free. Since the check engine light is on there's a code in there that will point us in the right direction. HTH. - Jim

280

Jim, .....Good news ......my trans is working All I did was unplug a cable at the front of the trany and checked fuses under dash ....the bad news is the engine light is still on Thanks Jim for your imput .....I will look for a new OBD reader....the auto parts stores up here do not give anything free again Jim thank you very much....Otto

280

Hi Jim , another Question : I want to post a car for sale But the post wount except my Canidian postal coad R0L1M0 is there something I'am doing wrong Otto

56,775

That's awesome, Otto, very glad to hear that you found the problem and especially that it was a minor fix!! As for posting your ad. The U.S. has zip codes which are postal codes as well. Try using mine (08016). It's a valid zip code and should work. HTH. Jim

280

More good news Jim That horble red light is gone.....Just a 10A fuse in the panel in the trunk the one for the running lights...everything seems to be ok Thanks Otto

56,775

That's great, Otto, very glad to hear that!! Thank you very much for letting me know. Always nice to hear the outcome. Happy Motoring. - Jim

I have 04malibu stuck in second Gear put all four silonoids inside trans connector nice tight only 107000 on it was in fender bender could it be bcm or tcm can't afford process of elimination live on fixed income can you help