I've got an 07 impala LS 3.5L V6. Car has a rough idle.... RPM's drops down to 550 to 600rpm once it reaches operating temp and it has been driving in stop and go traffic like when commuting to work.

170

Asked by Aug 27, 2014 at 08:17 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Impala LS FWD

So problem is this rough and low rpm idle
that drops to 550rpm once stopped at a red
light but when I run the a/c the idle comes
up to the normal for that car at 700rpm
however this rough idle is still there.  So I
replaced the plugs, wires, cleaned the mass
airflow sensor and throttle body thinking
that's my issue, well the idle started to
rocket to 900 to 1000 rpm but that's
because I disconnected the battery and
unhooked the sensors when I did my
cleaning the computer needed to relearn it's
factory idle preseting.  Car drove great for a
week, then idle was normal and before I
knew it that rough idle came back.  Guys I'm
stumped....NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS.....
maybe my exhaust ? Catconverter? Or
exhaust hanger or loose bolts cause the
vibrations? What gives? Maybe an early
failing stage for my 02 sensors?

170

Ok after living with that issue for 2 months finally got the problem solved. It was 2 items that were compromised. 1st being my power steering pump was in the beginning phase of seizing and failing. The pump began to create a rotational drag on the serpentine belt due to the resistance because the pump was seizing. That brought down the idle. 2nd was the bottom motor mount was completely shot I'm talking about there was no rubber what so ever. Replaced the serpentine belt, power steering pump and the motor mount and the car drives really smooth and quite. Car idles at 700rpm.

20

Ive been having this same problem with my 08 impala when im on the hwy it only gets me up to about 60 and i have to keep accelerating to get anything higher

10

Is it the battery?

170

It wasn't the battery, believe it or not I wrote that problem with that car about a year ago and solved it if you look and read out on my 2nd response. Fortunately, I am now the proud new owner of a new 2015 impala.

30

How did you determine it was your steering pump

170

I determined that by 2 reasons. Power steering was getting a whining like noise much like it does when the fluid level is low but that wasn't the case the pulley was actually in the beginning phase of seizing up creating the whining noise and 2nd the bottom motor mount was shot completely deterioted so the motor was actually moving in the engine bay even at idle. Replaced both components and problem solved.

40

CAN YO TELL ME JUST BOUT HOW MUCH DID IT COST TO GET THAT FIXED CAUSE I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY '07 IMPALA AT FIRST WE THOUGHT IT NEEDED A TUNE UP SO WE GOT THAT AND GOT THE SPARK PLUGS CHANGED AND EVERYTHING, THEN THEY SAID IT WAS THE FUEL INJECTORS SO WE GOT THAT FIXED AND IT WAS STILL SPUTTERING AND JERKING THEN THEY SAID THE VACUUM HOSE HAD A HOLE IN IT AT THIS POINT I HAVE BEEN FRUSTRATED WITH THIS CAR SO I GOT THAT CHECKED AND THEY SAID IT WAS THE FUEL INJECTORS AGAIN BUT I KNEW IT WASN'T BECAUSE THE FUEL INJECTORS ARE BRAND NEW WHAT COULD IT BE HELP!!!!!!!!!

my 2011 impala 3.5 just started running rough at an idle 130 000 on it reading above talked about power steering noise and yes it is noisy so im going to get that looked at first i noticed it was idling low around 550 rmp but engine light was not on now engine light came on and its idling even rougher taking it in get power steering pump look at makes sense ill let everyone know how i made out

Cleaning out old files, I just found a letter I had received, and unfortunately had not opened when I first bought my 2008 Impala. At the time I was being inundated with mail with offers and such. In this mail it said that the impala may begin to run rough and that if this occurs I could take the car in for free at or before 100K miles or 10 years whichever came first. Unfortunately, My car has 102K miles and I bought it in September 2007. Well guess what? Winter 2017-2018, my impala starts running rough at idle. It is worse when first started up and improves on highway. I cannot vouch for the validity of this letter; I just wish I had opened the darn thing.

I found the rough idle on this impalas !!! The ac if you don’t understand runs even with the ac off .if you uses the front Defog vents the ac comes on , so I was running with the ac on and windows open all the time .