intermediate steering shaft or rack???

Billie Abboud

Asked by Jan 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 2 Dr LS Coupe

A couple months ago I spun my chevy cobalt, since then I have noticed some problems with my steering, when the car is at idle and you turn the wheel in either direction about halfway it gets stuck a little and you have to force it a bit to turn more, I've also started hearing a clunking noise when you go to turn the steering wheel too, and while driving you have to have the wheel slightly turned to go straight, the steering has become sloppy, I was told that it was either the intermediate steering shaft or the rack itself, I believe the alignment is fine, there is no wear on my tires, any ideas???

99,435 -- there is a recall out for the power steering on you model cars. Recall number: 10V073000

Billie Abboud

I've had the recall serviced already.

Lots of owners still having issues with the power steering on these vehicles. Might want to check with a dealer about possible solutions they might have at no cost to you. This is a safety issue and they know that the power steering has been a problem from the start. Just a thought.

Did you hit something when you spun the car? Just wondering. Regardless it needs to go in to the dealer or a competent front end shop to be checked out. Could be a number of things, but its not going to improve with age and it is a potential safety issue.

Billie Abboud

No I didn't hit anything, although I did go down over a hill and the front end was packed with dirt and my son pulled a pretty large rock out when he cleaned it all out, I was going to call the dealership next week because it has been getting worse.

That doesn't sound good. I'd say something got damaged. Definitely get it looked at and fixed before something bad happens or you wreck your front tires. Good luck. Hope its not too expensive. Don't forget it might be covered by your insurance.