At what point in time would it be ideal to change my water pump to avoid something more serious?

Asked by Oct 29, 2015 at 01:35 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 1LT

I just bought a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LT, it has
126,000 miles and I just want to make sure
it won't go out. My boyfriend says that he
wants to change it ASAP because it's over
100,000 but I want to know if that's as much
of a concern as he says it is. He wanted to
change the timing belt, too, but it has a
chain. I don't know hardly enough about
cars to be able to know if it's a good idea or
not and, I love him, but I just want to make
sure.

237,925

He can replace the water pump if he wants, but I see no reason till you run into some issues. The car uses a chain, but you need a special tool to hold the timing sprocket/chain in place when you replace the water pump so you don't alter the timing.

3,875

There is no reason at all to change the water pump before it starts leaking or making noise which may be never. A water pump is not the sort of thing that will leave you stranded by the side of the road. The timing chain is another matter. They typically start making some noise which warns you that its time though so if its running well and not making any odd noises under the hood I would save your money for other things. With that mileage its going to need wheel bearings and axles soon if it hasn't had them already. If he's dieing to spend money have the transmission serviced, replace the coolant, give it a four wheel alignment and maybe some fresh spark plugs and wires. Check it for trouble codes and if there are any address those problems. After that drive it and enjoy it and don't go looking for trouble. It will find you soon enough on its own.