loud roaring from front end @ 25 mph plus

Asked by Apr 09, 2012 at 02:37 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

Loud noise from front end when car reaches 25 mph and gets louder as speed increases. Push in clutch at speed and engine at idle and sound is still there. I think it's a wheel bearing or cv joint not sure which side. I jacked up both sides and didn't notice any play in the wheels and the sound doesn't change when making turns.

95

Try greasing the joints. But don't force it in or you'll break the bladder

245

have all 4 of your tires balanced. if it persists you probably will need a new bearing on one of the sides.

1,295

Look at the tires for abnormal wear. If tires look ok, get front end back up in the air. using a stethoscope or other long tool) listen to the hub bearings from side to side. Careful not to hit any moving parts. If you can still not tell which side it is coming from it may be coming from transmission differential bearing or axle bearings. You shouldnt have to do more than leave vehicle in gear and allow to idle. Be sure vehicle is secure before performing this. When you run the ffront wheels without the rear moving the abs light will most likely come on. You will need a scan tool to clear it or it may take several trips for it to reset. Good luck and be careful

60

Change both front wheel hub assemblies, if you hear a loud humming sound coming from the front of car. If one side is bad the other side is right behind. Just changed on my daughters car, took a couple of hours to replace, Chevy Cobalts are junk, will never by another chevy cobalt again. Looking to sell and buy a nice used HONDA !

97,145

The bad bearing will make noise when more weight is put on it. Turn to the right and a bad left front will make more noise. Another way is to raise the wheel, put the car in neutral with the engine off and spin the wheel by hand while holding onto the spring. You can feel bad bearings grinding inside the race.

7,035

wheel bearing usually makes that sound.. hub assembly is worn.

105

if you still have a problem and it is a standard might be a throwout bearing in the tranny or flywheel. i had the same problem on my 08 and replaced those and it went away

315

hubs

260

I am having the same issue with my 07 Fusion. I have replaced the front right bearing and there was zero change in the noise. As I drove it home, about 7 miles, another deeper howling began and a serious vibration started that would come and go. Its parked now until I can find out what the heck it is. Any suggestions?

70

I have a 2009 chevy cobolt, I am very disappointed with chevy. I had both front brakes and roters are new, 2 brand new hub assemblies installed, passanger and drivers side, and the quitest tire I could put on it. It still making noise. I had to Mechanic's also look, which one works for a GM, and they don't know the cause of the noise.

180

I have a 2008 cobalt, 5-speed. It also is making loud noise when driving above 20mph. I took both front wheels off and run the engine with the car in 5th gear spinning both front rotors. It was making the noise but then i stopped one of the rotors from spinning allowing the other to spin, then the noise for really got loud. Does anyone know if that wold be something in the differential or transmission.?

70

My grand prix had 2 wheel bearing put on passanger side in 2 days and stills roars. Not sure if its axle transmission or wat, but it has been looked at by the top mechanic around and every shade tree mechanic i know. So im begnin to think its just a normal sound... Its been 5 years now and ol bessie ssugestionrunnin strong as ever. But does anyone have any suggestion on wat i should check on her next?

20

I have an '07 Pontiac G5 (basically the same car) and was having those same noises as well. Went on Google to only stumble across your question - the same one I had. I went to check the wheel bearings like most of you suggested. Found out that it was just my (don't laugh) original plastic hub caps that were cracked and the wind was causing the loud noise. I'm not a mechanic but I at least like to research what I can on a problem before hand. Thanks for the suggestions. First time using this site.