08 dodge avenger: heater problems

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 10:19 PM about the 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T

Winter is here!  I turn on heater in my car and driver side vent blows barely warm air...middle and passenger side cold air.( Let it warm up first of course) I took it to mechanic and he said nothing is wrong: no leaks, flap is working, thermostat is working, etc. He said he wasn't sure if it may involve a electronic part or something, said for me to take it to dealer to get it looked at. This is a first for me. Any suggestions?

25,195

Some mechanic. Your heater core is always "hot." The blend door may be stuck in the "cool" position, causing incoming air to bypass the heater core before entering the cabin. You either have a non-working heater core, or an inoperative blend door. You can check for hot engine coolant in the heater core hoses where they enter the firewall. If you do then move on to checking the blend door actuator. I'm not too familiar with Dodge Avengers, but most make/models you can drop the glove box down all the way and/or pull the air bag and see the blend door actuator, and determine if it moves when you switch between hot and cold air. If it's not moving, then it's bad. (you should also be able to hear it shifting position if you put your ear up to a vent.) Another option is take it to a shop that specializes in AC/heater repair.