2008 Dodge avenger engine light won't go out even after reset

20

Asked by Jul 28, 2015 at 06:52 AM about the 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT

For almost a year now I've been
dealing with the check engine light
on my 2008 Dodge avenger. It keeps
getting the same code which is an
O2 sensor, this has been replaced
three times. The Code gets cleared I
drive out of the shop   And the check
engine light  comes back on, I've
been dealing with the check engine
light on my 2008 Dodge avenger. It
keeps getting the same code which
is an O2 sensor, this has been
replaced three times.  Now my car is
up for inspection and will not pass
because of the check engine light,
what can I do is there any recalls on
this?

55,435

Obviously the O2 sensor is not the problem. What is the code number?

20,430

Bob is right some vehicles have up to four 02 sensors.

25

Go back to whoever has checked it and tell them they haven't fixed it yet and they need to rescan it and check for another sensor or 3. Good Luck and I hope they find it for you this time. :)

10,930

The diagnostic should read between .45 volts (less than a half volt) when engine is running. . If it's too low the Catalytic converter may not be functioning properly. Be aware when the CEL light comes on your car runs " rich" resulting in lost performance and bad gas mileage

The code is always the same it's the rear bank 2 sensor, which is the one that's been replaced 3 times. All of the sensors have been checked, even the new one is not running that great, just replaced yesterday. I'm being told it may be a wiring problem & that I need to have a dealer look at it. My inspection is up this Friday

55,435

The rear bank2 sensor only tells the ecu about catalyst efficiency. I wonder if it is a wiring problem or if the bank 2 is running lean for some reason.

55,435

http://engine-codes.com/p0430_dodge.html

20

Turns out had to replace the computer, not a cheap fix

My engine light was always coming on in my 08 avenger. O2 sensor, other various emissions codes. I bought a new gas cap and started putting in premium gas. The light went out and hasn't come back yet!

55,435

@Jennifer...Start a new thread with your question. This thread is 2 YEARS OLD!

Bob, did you even read what I wrote? It was not a question, it was a response with a possible solution. And I put it here just in case others with the same issue were searching online and saw this thread.. SOOOOOOOOO..... Mind your own dear..

55,435

Sorry Jennifer! My response should have been...THIS THREAD IS 2 YEARS OLD! Putting premium gas in it will not solve anything. It probably was the gas cap.

No actually, after replacing the gas cap the light came back on after a short amount of time. After that I started using premium gas and the light went out and hasn't come back on. And yes, the thread is 2 years old, yet still comes up at the top of a Google search for this issue... I am trying to be a nice person and hopefully help someone else out who has this issue. You're just being a jerk for no reason other than you obviously have nothing else to do but troll the internet. Have a nice evening!! ;)

55,435

Name calling is so juvenile. Have a nice day sis! Oh by the way, I am just as irritating in person as I am on the net.

I can imagine :D

10,930

Jennifer ,,, We try to help as best we can and I see nothing obnoxious in Bob's answers ,,, He was simply pointing out that 2 year old questions are not priority so in many cases we feel the problem has been resolved ,, so it gets ignored. Bob has volunteered for many hours (we're all unpaid volunteers whose only compensation is helping people) Most answers are judged by the poster ,,,10 to 20 points with an exceptional answer getting 40 points ,,, Bob has almost 55,000 points so if you decide that by 20 you will see that He has helped a lot of people. We are working for people like you and really have no time to offend anyone so when someone "Rags" on us it takes whatever we get from us away ,,, I mean .. most of us are guys and if we need a good "Ragging" we can always get it from our wives .... BTW ,,, I doubt very seriously that you fixed the problem ... Chrysler/Dodge has service bulletins regarding your issues and all you have done is to "Mask" the problem for a short time ,,, I suspect the problem will return when the weather turns very cold

Ha ha ha ha..... Funny thing, I live in New Hampshire Dear.. the weather has been cold for a long time already ;) Not sure why everyone is taking SO much interest in the fact that I answered this question for others looking through Google with the same issue... I wasn't answering for any points system... But to be helpful.. I find this all very humorous...

Bob lit the fuse! Ha ha ha... I just think it's funny that you guys are all trying to get a rise out of me.. Plus what does Halloween have to do with a tampon exactly?? Hmmmmm ha ha ha ha... You guys are cracking me up!! Keep it coming, my boyfriend is in stitches over you guys who have no life ;)

10,930

Jennifer ... Please except my sincere apology. I had trouble sleeping due to my rude behavior ... I'm very serious about this so please take it that way. Your efforts to help others makes you one of us ,, thank you.(and I do mean that) The Bible says that "Hate begets hate" and my behavior confirms that to be true. ,, I know that I'm a hypocrite for allowing my anger to get the best of me. You are a very thoughtful lady ,,The world needs more like you and less of me. God Bless you and May He smile on your goodness

Thank you, I see you deleted your comment as well. Have a wonderful day boys.

55,435

I slept just fine....The sad part about posting on forums or sending e-mail / texts is that they are expressionless. Sometimes it is hard to know is someone is angry, joking or what. In the book of "Bob" Verse 2 paragraph 7 it states "only Bob can be Bob, he is what he is". I can be helpful, sarcastic and condescending all at the same time. Jennifer, stop buying premium gas as your vehicle does not need it. Just think of all the money you are wasting. Switch back to the cheap stuff to see if the trouble code comes back, if it does get it properly repaired. My guess is that you have a very small leak in the evap system.

It's not really that much more money, plus my car has never run better than it does now. I think I'll stick to buying the gas that I want to, and not buy the gas that you want me to Bob.. ha ha ha ha... I'm unfollowing this post, because at this point my kind gesture is taking up FAR too much of my time. And a couple extra dollars each time I put gas in my tank isn't going to break me so what's the harm.. Goodbye all, this has been fun!