relation between broken cranck pulley and dead battery

Asked by Mar 19, 2009 at 09:40 PM about the 1997 Acura TL 2.5 Premium

I knew I had a broken cranckshaft pulley.
On one day I left the lights on for 20 m while the engine was off and the car couldn't start.I jumpstarted the battery and could drive the car again for about a mile while the lights are getting dimmer quickly until the car stopped working again.I jumpstarted it a 2nd and 3rd time and each time I could drive no more than 10 feet before it stops again.
I thought that was likely because the cranckshaft pulley -that causes the alternator to spin-  was broken and so the alternator wasn't spinning and the battery draining quickly.
I towed it home and to my surprise I tried to jumpstart it after 2-3 days but nothing would happen and the car wouldn't start.
Any help?
If the alternator wasn't charging the battery;why wouldn't the car start when I tried to jumpstart it?

1,245

well obviously... your battery is dead, how do you expect and engine to run with a dead battery and no alt...

If the battery is dead;why couldn't I start the car while boosting the battery from another car? Do you mean I have to replace the battery and throw the old one away?or just replace the cranck pulley? I appreciate your answers.I don't know much about cars.

8,195

If your belt isn't being turned by the broken pulley you need to fix that. After you fix that, hook up your car with jumper cables to another car for a little while before trying to start. If your battery is drained it pulls charge from the other car and you might not be getting enough juice to start, so give it some time to build some charge. (You can usually get the other car to 'fast idle' by turning the AC on high) try to start it and let us know what happens... If it doesn't start, what does it do? Does it turn but not start? Does it click but not turn? Do the dash lights cycle on when you try to start?