Year model

Asked by Aug 22, 2011 at 05:46 AM about the 1964 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe

How do i know what year model my GT is?

uh,you posted 64 standard ,not a GT.look on tag on driver door.

This is the car in question. There are no tags in the doors!

Nice Ride,OK check under hood on driver side firewall,their should be a small aluiminum square tag pop rivited on it.I belive its a 69.my neighbor had one just like this one,same color & all,sold it a few months back.

Thank you!. Once again no tags on the car!!. I was told that i needed to look on the tail lights, there is a 64 printed on the tail light cover? I don't know if this is true or not?

in the 50s and 60s the year of the car was stamped into the tail lights. look on the vin number inside the drivers side windshield. I believe it's the 8th digit from the right

55

From what I see it would be either a 65 or 66. 64 1/2 till 66 used the same tail lights. There were some changes in the grill, wheels, vent markings ( the scoops ahead of rear wheels) none of which we can see by the pic. I believe 64 had no fastbacks, only coupe and convert.. One other place to check would be under the hood where the fender bolts to the body (top upper flange of the left fender apron), from factory they have the ser # stamped. ( On the right side you have to remove the fender to see the stamp.) If there is a ser # there the very first digit tells you what year it is. eg. if digit is 5 then it's a 65, if it's a 6 then a 66 and so on. What might be more important is by the decals saying GT350 you WILL want to find out if it is a real Shelby GT350. VERY rare and worth alot if it is. Unfortunately alot of people have cloned them very well and try to sell them off as a real Shelby. Good luck and real nice looking car.

So i have noticed the 64 printed on the taillights. So how would i know if this car is the real deal. Is there some data base that i can access and enter the body number to check production date and model?

35

ok looking at the pics provided that is a 66 gt fastback the vin is on the drivers side front fender about 10 inches from the core support check the vin no with mustang groups and you should be able to find out what model engine and other options came with that car should have the base 289 or if its a true shelby there should be a notch in the left front fender where the vin is located 1I

35

there is no way that is a 69 mustang 69s had 4 headlights up front the fake side scoop on the top of the quarter panel just behind the door and the strange gill molding on the lower part of the quarter the tail lights are larger than those shown but i dont know any thing just been working on muscle and pony cars since the 70s

Can you provide me with the website that i can check the model of this car?

http://www.decodethis.com/

Stan,origional poster.We have a Rebuild shop next door to us,all they rebuild is wrecked mustanges,went over today,pulled up the site,remember theses guys are pros at what they do,so show the owner the pic of your car.is a 66 fastback,side luvers are aftermarket,did not come on the car,sorry its not a GT Shelby,has been repainted to look like one & striped that way.figured this would be a good way to find out the year it is.he has a 67 painted same color same stripes,same luvers.is also a clone.his son sold his.same car.hope this helps you out.

OWEN,you never hit a wrong key,on key board.I do alot.

VIN Decoded Minimize 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback NEW! Get the Vehicle History Report for 5T09C200244 5 Year 1965 T Assembly Metuchen, NJ 09 Body Mustang 2-Door Fastback C Engine 8 Cyl. 289 CID Horsepower: 200 Carbs: 1-2BBL Compression: 9.3:1 200244 Serial 200244 Thank you for the help gents.. I am going to go and hang my self now

DONT DO THAT.

55

Looks like you got it figured out, just wondering....how long have you had this car, and when you bought it did they imply that it was a Shelby? Did you get a title or bill of sale with the ser # on it?

Had the car for 5 years now. Got the Natis with it but was registered in 2006, And yes i got it as a Shelby 350GT.. I'm am pissed now..