Why is my 1997 Acura Integra using so much oil per week?

Asked by Jul 09, 2015 at 11:07 AM about the 1997 Acura Integra LS Hatchback

I drive about 120 miles a day back and forth to work.  I add at least one quart of oil per week.  I use 5w-30 for high mileage engines.  There is a black powder all over the back of the car from the exhaust and truthfully the gas mileage isn't that good anymore.  I have replaced the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug wires and that seems to be when all this started.  Car runs ok, check engine light is off, but something isn't right and nobody seems to know what it is.  HELP!!

275

Hi! It sounds like you may be experiencing issues with your cat converter - typical signs are bad gas mileage and buildup in the exhaust. A helpful additive may be something called "guaranteed to pass" or GTP (you can find this at any local auto parts store). It runs through the system to clean out gunk - perhaps it will clean out your vehicles system. Anyway hope this helps!

bad case scenario: your engine is starting to go.......

50,735

How many miles on this car? Is the oil leaking or going out of the tail pipe? A defective catalytic converter will NOT cause it to use oil.

No but it should definitely help with the cars gas mileage. The car could be eating oil from many many different things - mostly internal engine related.

26,515

i would first change the oil over to 20-50... your said>Why is my 1997 Acura Integra using so much oil per week?..its cheap easy and fast to do..i think your oil usage will decrease......