Bucking After I Fill Up With Gas.

90

Asked by Jan 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM about the 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4WD

I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot that I purchased used 2 months ago.  Every single time I put gas in it, it runs a very short distance from the gas station and starts to buck and jolt like it wants to shut off.  After that, every time, it does not happen again until I fill up my tank.  I make sure I close the gas cap nice and tight.  Does it happened to have anything with the gas vapors or maybe I need some dry gas?

11,705

I found some information on this. It is a Jeep/Chrysler issue that is gaining notice. I am re-posting the webpage that I located. Link will be at the end: The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails, liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister. After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level. Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria, the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the stored gas vapors. It’s at that point that all the liquid gas in the line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see liquid gas coming into the intake. That’s what causes the engine to stall. Unfortunately, the ONLY fix is to replace the entire gas tank. Chrysler does NOT sell the vapor/liquid valve as a separate unit. Once the tank is replaced and the charcoal canister purged, the problem goes away. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-Repair-807/f/stalling-refueling.htm

90

Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast. I'll have to check my warranty but I'm such this is not covered.

165

I also bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2 months ago and the Jeep stalled after filling it with gas. I called the dealer and he said to put dry gas in the tank and stalling haven't happen again for a few week. Just a few days ago, after filling up with gas the Jeep stalled again. I read in the Jeep Patriot forum that don't fill the tank all the way and the car will be fine. I will try that and see if it helps.

90

Thanks for your comments. I will try your suggestion. I'm heading to Atlantic City in a few hours. I'll just put 20.00 in on my way home and see if that works. I really don't want anything to happen on the AC Expressway. I'll keep you posted.

90

Well, you got it right. I put in 15.00 which took it to 3/4 tank and it worked. Thanks for your comments. Hopefully it solved my problem.

165

That's great!! I got my mechanic to fill up the tank so he can see first hand as to what's wrong with it. He finally found the problem. Mark who answered your question a few days ago got it right . The problem is from the Fuel Tank Rollover valve. Unfortunately, the whole tank has to be replaced. This will cost around 1,250 which I don't have the money for. We called the dealer and he said he may be able to replace it for us for $600 since we bought the jeep in November and this issue is not covered under warranty. I think I will just not fill the tank all the way so I don't have to spend the money to fix it.

80

Just happened to me with 2007 Patriot Very dangerous as steering wheel locked when it stalled. Need to recall before someone's killed

165

I haven't fill the tank all the way since the incident and it's been fine so far. It's a cheap workaround. Hopefully it works out for you. I've already reported this to the NHTSA but I don't think there are too many people reporting it so it fell off the radar.

90

Well, believe it or not, but I just bought a new gas cap and I can finally fill my tank and have not had trouble for over a month. Go figure.

30

My wife just filled up the gas tank to her 2007 Patriot today. It stalled right after and steering wheel locked too.

50

I have been experiencing the exact same problem - it occurs within driving 1-2 miles from the gas station about 95% of the time after a fill-up.

80

I just had this happen. Filled up with gas and Jeep Patriot stalled in heavy traffic. Lucky I was nit hit. When will NHTSA do something? This is dangerous

40

Same problem here Jeep dealer is replacing the roll over valve in mine today lucky to have bought a extended warranty. Seems to be a known issue they were not surprised, charcoal canister was full of gas. Keep filing NHTSA reports sooner or later they will notice. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

30

This has been happening to my 2011 Jeep Compass. After a fill up it stalls out, power steering goes out, and other times it sputters and is a terrible experience.

90

My son's 2007 Jeep compass 4 cylinder started doing this 8 months ago. He has done his best to fill and wait for it to stop shutting down. And afterwards till the tank is empty there is no stalling. GOOD NEWS, the check engine light went on, first time for this, we visited Autozone and got a free diagnostic check. They confirmed that it needs a fuel vapor leak detection pump. This part costs $14.99 plus tax , Autozone part number ESM1001. It is easy to install, it is located on drivers side, under car, back corner and is disconnected by pulling hose off, wire clip with regular screw driver, and twisting the pump counterclockwise, installation of new one is reverse order. Once installed the check engine light went off. He recently filled the Jeep up and no stalling. Here is link to part we used: http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/fuel-vapor-leak-detection-pump/duralast-fuel-vapor-leak-detection-pump/125190_0_0/?checkfit=true

165

Thanks for the information Al.

50

Al - thank you. I ordered my ESM1001 as soon as I saw your post and took pictures today as I installed it. I'm not sure how many pictures I'm allowed to post, so this one is a shot from just under the driver's side rear wheel to show where the part is located.

10

I have a 2008 Patriot with the same problem, and to add to the problem, now the gas pump shuts off when I try to put gas in the vehicle. I've different flow speeds and several pumps, but still have the same problem. It takes me 15 minutes to fill up at 2/10 of a gallon at a time. Rick

50

Turns out I still had problems after replacing the ESM1001 including engine hiccups while driving, complete stalls after fill- ups, and then a check engine light which wouldn't go away. After a smoke test, it was revealed that the O-Ring which connects to it needed to be replaced. I have also experienced the multiple shut-offs while filling up a handful of times, but not all the time. I'm hoping the O-Ring replacement will be a permanent fix. So far, I've gone through 1 fill-up with no problems.

165

I hear different solutions. All I've been doing is not fill the tank all the way. A month ago, my daughter forgot and filled the tank all the way and it stalled. We let the engine run until its a little below full, the jeep started running again.

50

I have an 07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 169k miles. My son was driving it and called to say that it was stalling on him going down the highway and he would pull over and it would start right back and go again. He also said he was having a hard time putting gas in the tank. I disconnected the hoses from vapor canister under the jeep and used air compressor to blow through all the hoses ,the vapor canister and the solenoid. Put it back together and it ran good and would take gas for about 6 months, no problems. My wife was driving it last week and called to say that it died on her going down the highway and I ask if she had been having trouble putting gas in the tank and she said yes. I crawl back under the jeep to do the same as before and noticed the vapor canister was busted so I replaced it and the solenoid that is mounted on the vapor canister. She called this morning and said she put gas in tank with no problem and it is running fine so far. The vapor canister and solenoid is located under the jeep driver side in front of back axle and is easy to get to.It cost about $100 for both parts from the dealer. Not sure if this is the fix but it's odd that every time we have trouble putting gas in the tank that later it dies going down the road. If it dies again I'll be back.

165

Thanks Jeep07.

50

Never mind the post I put above. Wife just called and said the jeep stalled again. Still takes gas good though. I'll be back.

165

That is really scary. I gave up trying to figure out how to fix it. Just don't fill the tank all the way.

I have an 07 Jeep Compass. We've owned it for 2 years and had a few issues here and there but not this. Gas light came on so I filled up. Got a few yards from the pump and it stalled. No check engine light or anything came on. Was able to pull into a parking spot. Every time I turn the car on it sputters a bit then runs. After about a minute or two of idling it stalls. Tried letting it idle and revving the engine. Same thing happens. Suggestions for what to do??

90

Welcome to our family of loyal Jeep owners, we own the same vehicle as you with 2.4L and have learned to live with the issue. The most it has stalled out after filling a nearly empty tank is 4 times. We usually pull over and let it stall in the parking lot of the gas station. good news for us is once it does this it is good till next time you fill up. We have noticed that if you put gas in it when it has 1/2 or 2/3 full it stalls out less times. I even filled it using and 5 gallon fuel tank and it did not stall at all. It may have to do with the velocity of the pump at the gas station and gravity feed affects it less. Good luck and drive safe.

I've had my 08 Patriot for 9 1/2 years. About 6 months ago, it did the same thing as above after filling up. It would also jerk/slow down on the interstate after a fill up until it was about 3/4 full. I put some seafoam in it and that worked for a few months, but it's doing it again. I didn't fill all the way up tonight, and it was fine. Just contributing to the group :-)

10

My 2014 Cherokee Latitude is doing the same thing. The engine hesitates for a while after I fill up. If I have to stop for a light or stop sign right after filling up, the Jeep dies and a warning light comes on that tells me the car has to be stopped to shift gears. I tried not topping off the tank the other day and it seemed fine. I also made sure to tighten the gas cap a few extra turns. I gassed up this morning, topped off (unfortunately) and tightened the gas cap, but the Jeep still hesitated.

i am so happy i found this thread. every other thread said this stall and slowdown issue was due to the CVT transmission. we just bought the 2008 jeep patriot yesterday. paid in cash. on the way home from dealer, after we filled with gas, it stalled , in the gas station! then it started again and lost speed getting onto the parkway. i shut it off , and restarted it it was fine. scared to drive it now. want to return it . looking to find out my rights. bought it as is.... any information on my rights? thank you!

165

What we've been doing is not fill the gas all the way. I've already reported it to the NHTSA a couple of years ago but no response. I figure if enough people report this issue, NHTSA will do something.