Help Please! Acura Randomly Shuts Off Wile Driving - Need to drive it across country

50

Asked by Dec 02, 2014 at 01:19 PM about the 1997 Acura CL 3.0

Hello!I have a 97 Acura CL with about 110k miles on it. When I am driving sometimes it
will randomly shut off, the speedometer on the dash will go straight to 0 even when I am
still movie and I lose power steering. For some reason, I do not lose the radio. Any
suggestions?

8,590

More info needed ... does it restart ok? How long does it run after restart? ... Do you notice a bump or something that would cause a loose connection to open?

50

Sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it takes an extra turn of the key to get her going. Once it restarts it could run great until it shuts off again. Sometimes it goes 2 weeks without happening or sometimes it happens twice in once week.

50

@Tom- does that information help at all?

8,590

I suspect it's either the connector that exits the steering column under the dash or the switch contacts that the key turns. You will see a black/yellow wire and a yellow wire .... I suspect the yellow wire is opening while you are driving that's removing voltage to the engine. I don't know what to tell you regarding a fix other then if you jiggle the wire under the dash when your out of traffic to see if the engine sputters or dies. Put some oil on the key and insert it into the ignition then rotate the key a few times

Best Answer
8,590

You may also want to raise the hood while the engine is running and try moving the wiring harness to see if you can't identify what is loose if the engine quits Good luck

50

Do you by any chance know how much of a fix that is in a shop?

8,590

Hmmm ... I guess it depends on what they find. I would try the oil on the key first ... that may lube the mechanism on the tumbler and give the tumbler more movement thus giving the contact block a solid connection. Jiggling the wires is free but fixing the fault could vary from the cost of a tyrap to a new ignition sw. Be aware that you won't know if it's fixed for a while and if it happens again on your trip you may need to get fixed again If it's just a minor PITA ... try what I told you first then Happy Trails

50

Thank you so much for your help, Tom.

20

I have the same car same model and everything I had that same problem and it's the ignition switch I replaced that and now it's perfect no dieing randomly or anything

10

I have a 2000 acura cl it starts wen it wants to what can it be plz guy's help like I said it starts wen it wants to.. email me plz with information nini_el_rey@yahoo.com or leave information thanks god bless