I have a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country with less than 60,000 miles on it. Within the last two weeks, it has been having trouble accelerating, jerking forward and slowing down.

Asked by Apr 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM about the 2007 Chrysler Town & Country 4 Dr Touring

This usually happens when I start it up after it's been sitting awhile, either first thing in the morning when I leave for work, or when I go to drive it home from work.  It's also worse when you accelerate hard versus allowing it to get up to speed gradually.  I live on a busy street, and this morning I pulled out of the driveway and stepped on the gas hard as traffic was bearing down.  It jerked forward, felt like it was going to die on me, and repeated this a few times before finally accelerating normally.  What could be the problem?  Trying to get an idea of how much this is going to cost me (in the suburbs of Chicago).  FYI, I also know nothing about cars!  Many thanks!

237,755

Could be any number of things. Do you have any lights or indicatiors lighting up on the dash to indicate any problems. Like the service engine light? Since you know nothing about cars, I'd personally take it to a local mechanic that you can get some recommendations on and have them look at to get an estimate. If you think it is too expensive then try another shop. You want to do this soon, as this is a safety issue pulling out into traffic

Hi Tom. Thanks for the info. There are no lights coming up. And, the weird thing is that I did take it to a mechanic just last week. They didn't find anything wrong with it. I guess they hooked it up to their computer and no codes came up. They suggested I think what they referred to as a cleaning of the fuel system to see if there were any clogs, which I did have done. But the problem still seems to be there.

895

have seen sticky computers that dont show codes till the car is totally down, even long after anything resembling normal operation is long gone. time to do some old fashioned troubleshooting, like rechange air filter, consider egr valve, throttle positioner, oxygen sensor, and such. how about longer warmups, backing into the driveway at night, hopefully prob gets worse and codes will get triggered. costs can skyrocket to start changing parts, but without codes yet, and a truly experienced mechanic ( extremely rare) is very very frustrating, and yes, dangerous. some shops can use test equipment in real time mode......in traffic, startup, etc, but it takes two mechanics, one to drive and one to read the the screen, and no, you cant do the driving cause it takes two mechominds to decipher, and you have to leave the car at least overnit and probly more just for the diagnosis, sounds like not a pretty prospect. had chrysler t& c's for almost two decades , 2-300 thou miles, seen this 3 times, last time car was inoperable for 4 days while i used rental, came every day started and feathered gas pedal for hour and half to 2500 rpm, finally got codes, right when i discovered a normal looking air filter that was plugged, found it by startin car with filter housing apart., then got codes and chek engin light,. most expensive air filter ever. god luck, u gonna need some still a great car though in spite of all that.......bruce

My 1999 Chrysler T+C , 3.8L was hesitating on acceleration. Push the peddle down but it wouldn't respond for about a second. Engine code says catalyst is out of parameters. I haven't changed the O2 sensors yet but I did change the FUEL FILTER. Doesn't seem to do it any more! Also- check the speed sensor- look for metal filings sticking to the magnetic tip. Not hard to check, once you find it. And lastly; maybe change trans filter. Make sue you put the right back in, as it wont shift right if you don't. Good luck!

That was supposed to read- "make sure you put the right FLUID back in," sorry for the typo.

10

ill as when i press accelerator towncountry2007 hard to move slide moving

10

My 2003 T&C started acting like the transmission was going bad, as the motor would start slowing down and if I pressed on the accelerator hard, the rpm would go to 3,000+ and still it would get slower. It finally died, and we had it towed into a reputable shop, and they put their tester on it and said "I'm not sure, but it seems to be the computer". Would you believe, I got back in it, and it started. I took it to another shop and a young man told me he didn't have time to check, but that he bet it was the fuel pump. Finally, I bit the bullet, and my son and grandson installed it for me. It had about 1 hundred thousand + miles on. It started right up and has never failed since. There is now 260,000 miles on it and still going great! Son, who works on computers said that because the engine wasn't getting enough fuel, the computer kept trying to supply it, but could only supply enough to make it do what it was doing.