battery draining after resetting %22change oil%22 message

Asked by Mar 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM about the 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited

A few wks ago, while I was resetting the "oil maintnance required soon" message, I accidently pushed the start button twice. You're supposed to do it just once and hold it, but I must of twiched or something and let go for a split second before pressing it back down and holding it in. After that the engine would not start!
When I pressed the start button, it would cycle in the diagnostic mode ( as it does when it first starts, but didnt).
I finally decided to disconnect the battery for about 1/2 hr hoping that it would reset whatever I got screwed up.
It started, but now it seems that if it is off for more than say 16-20 hrs without being driven, it needs a jump!
It;s like there is a small load,  but all the instrumments are off, the interior light  is off and there is no power coming through the cigarette lighter.
I checked the battery and that's fine!

I cant figure out what happened.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks.

did you remember to put oil in it?

Oil change was over a wk b4. Just got around to resetting the oil maintnance message

Instructions 1 Turn the ignition key to the "On" position, but do not start the engine. Locate the odometer button, which is near the left side of the speedometer on the dashboard. Press the odometer button and hold it down until you reach trip meter "A." Turn the ignition to the "Lock" position. 2 Press and hold down the trip meter reset button while you turn the ignition to the "On" position. 3 Observe either the multi-functional display or the trip meter, depending on how your Highlander is equipped. The multi-functional display is located above the radio, between the two upper air vents. The trip meter is viewed in the small display between the tachometer and speedometer. When the maintenance indicator resets, the multi-functional display reads "Complete," and the trip meter resets to "000000 Read more: How to Reset the Maintenance Light on a Toyota Highlander | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7443769_reset-maintenance-light-toyota-highlander.html#ixzz2NHRgp2Mx

I did that. That's how this whole thing started. I have the smart start button ( or at least thats what I think it's called), but instead of holding in at the appropriate step, i hit it twice, holding it in on the second time. It cleared out the message, but it seems like there is a load on the battery bc it keeps on dying! everything was fine before that. I had cleared the messages prior without issues.

40

Did you ever get your problem resolved? My 2011 Highlander is doing the same thing, even with a new battery installed (If we go away for a long weekend, when I try to start my car to head to work, it's dead. Cannot locate what is draining the batteries.

90

I have a 2006 Highlander that has a small drain on the battery. If it sets for more than 3 days, the battery goes dead. The dealer has been unable to locate what is causing this. I have to keep it on a Battery Tender to keep it charged. Any suggestions?

I read a story about a noise coming from the rear axle, and the system purges the carbon canister. http://www.carproblemzoo.com/toyota/highlander/2015/2015-toyota-highlander-electrical-system-problems.php

10

My 2013 Limited Highlander is now draining the battery even though the engine is off. Two dead batteries this month, screen on three times in the morning. Last month took it in to the dealer for the 25,000 mile check. Did they do something to it? Does Toyoto know about this problem? When I drive my car home I check 5 times each night to make sure every thing is off. In the morning, dead battery!

40

I have not had any resolution to the battery draining issue-it's on a battery tender if we away for the weekend or longer to avoid a dead battery when back home.