How can i tell if my distributor coil is bad?

15

Asked by Jul 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM about the 1999 Acura Integra LS Hatchback

I have a 99 Acura Integra, just had another motor put in, now when i get to 30mph it feels like it's not getting gas, if i push hard on the gas it's almost like the gas rushes in and then it goes. Someone told me it could be my distributor  coil. How can I tell if that is it?

145

this is hard one to find without some work. Also does the car idle rough of is it only under acceleration that it has hesitation? If its at idle it very well could be a bad coil-pack. If you can take the car to someone with a computer that can read the OBD2 data they would be able to see if the car is getting miss-fires in a specific cylinder. Then you move the bad coil-pack around to see if the missfire follows the coil-pack. But before all this just change the spark plugs. See if that helps. This could also be a bad or clogged fuel filter as well, depending on mileage. If you are not mechanically inclined a professional service techn is the best way for you to go about fixing this.

115

chris its just one coil in a honda B series motor moron. first off what model is the integra? auto or manual. does it sputter? how is the idle and also whats the fuel pressure/ non of these were done for basic diag and your friend just tells u its the coil . bad coil wont start the car and it will usually b burnt .

15

My Acura is a automatic, 98 not 99(sorry) the idle seems to be fine. I replaced all the spark plugs and the fuel fiter, air filter also.Someone told me the problem could be because the motor i had put in is American and the computer is Japan. I forgot to mention that the check engine lt does not come on at all.

see with me.... i have a 92 Acura Integra RS trim B20 swap, i know my o2 sensor has to be changed,BUT so does my dizzy, from what i was told, but i'm not really sure if it does need to be changed or not, how could i tell?, when i turn on my car it goes up to 4,000 but then eventually after a min it comes back down to a nice idle at 1,000, but when i rev the car up when it comes back down it drops below 1,000 and "integrity" rumbles a bit and it hops back up to 1, 000, is that the dizzy??? someone help ? lol

115

Check Iacv valve, check also egr

115

I reccomend some seafoaming just to get at some of the build up inside

10

Old post , crazy it took me a new fuel pump, junk yard distributer and fuel relay . Any one who has this stupid issue replace the tps first save some money on trouble shooting . Honda flatend out the screws that hold on the tps, so if u get a dremel and etch a line across the flatened screw you can remove it with ease with a flat head . Dont get what im saying u tube it . Hopefully this help some one out there .

I have this exact problem with my car my mechanic told me I need a new distributor os that it ? I have a honda civic ek coupe b20 swap as well