I have a 1976 Buick Regal SR with the Hurst package, bucket seats, all original. I can't really find anything about them. What can you tell me about this car?

110

Asked by Jul 01, 2011 at 10:56 PM about the 1976 Buick Regal 2-Door Coupe

I am looking for information on the 1976 Buick Regal RS with the Hurst T tops and
bucket seats.  I just bought one in near mint condition and I can't find any
information on them at all and have only found one for sale that looks anything like
mine.  

300

The only Regal I can find that has anything to do with Hurst is the Hurst T-Top Option that was available on a '76. If you could post a pic of the car it would help.

110

Here is the bucket seats and the gear shift

110

Here is the exterior

300

Looks like a very nice Regal! I am sure the Hurst package it is referring to is the T-Tops. They made most of the T-Tops for GM back then. They were referred to as Hurst Hatches. Still a rare car in that kind of condition.

95

I have a 1976 Buick Regal with T-Tops from Hurst. I have buckets and a floor console and shifter, but the shifter is not a Hurst unit. I also have different wheels I've owned it since 1979 and have 75000 miles on it. I've been trying to find out how many were ordered with the T-tops that year. Nice car.

10

I used to own that exact car. The Hurst really only refers to the T-Tops option, which was an aftermarket add-on that the dealers provided for that year. The buckets console/floor shifter we part of the S/R package (which i am almost positive is short for Sport Rally). I have been looking for another 76 optioned like yours for a while...nice find.

40

The S/R is Sport Rally, but the buckets and console were available on all Regal models. Mine has them with a dealer installed power sun/moonroof. I believe the S/R option included reclining drivers seat however. Buicks.net includes numbers for S/R optioned Skylarks from that year, but not for the Regals.

10

gotcha. one of the regrets of my life was letting that car go, though i did not really have a choice at the time. if anyone comes across one for sale, let me know...Thanks.

15

Hi Just found this site and want to clarify one thing, one of the above writers states that the Hurst hatch Roof or "T-Tops" as it is commonly known was an aftermarket dealer option. It might well have been, but I ordered a new 1976 Buick Regal back then and it was not an SR model. I still have the window sticker although I no longer have the car, but the Hurst Hatch Roof was installed by the Hurst Company and I do remember that the car took a couple of extra weeks because of this. To this day I wish I had always kept that car and still keep an eye out for another one, Steve in Missouri

20

HI, I BOUGHT THE IDENTICAL AR ALSO, FIRETHORN RED W/BUCKSIN TOP AND INT . YES, YOU WERE RIGHT THE S/R WAS FOR SPORTS RALEYE. MY HH=HURST HATCH WAS A NIGHTMARE, IT NEVER STOPPED LEAKING SINCE DAY ONE. AFTER ABOUT 100 ATTEMPTS TO FIX IT , A GM REP CAME AND INSTALLED A NEW ONE. NOT HH. I EVENTUALLY SOLD IT.

15

I just read Mikes post about his Hurst Hatch being a nightmare because it leaked, I had my car new from the factory with the Hurst hatch Roof an never had a problem with leaks as long as I followed the instructions in the manual on how to latch the roof down. I had the car for around ten years and then was forced to sell it and to this day still reget it, wish I could have kept that car, have never run across another one. Really a good car and loved the Hurst Hatch option.

20

HOLLO I HAVE BUICK REGAL S/R 1977 IN PUERTO RICO , I NEED PARTS FOR RESTORATION CAR MY EMAIL: aaaspr@hotmail.com

20

15

Hi Jose, got your email about your Regal with the Hurst hatch Roof, not sure what you really want to know. I sold my car many years ago and regret it. Wish I had kept it but at the time I just could not afford to keep it and needed a newer more reliable car at the time. I have no idea where you can find parts for a restoration except to keep looking on the internet and perhaps check the junkyards, I am sure there is a parts car out there somewhere. Of course the Oldsmobile Cutlasse was a similar car, so might have some parts exchage there, that could be an idea. Please post a picture of your car when you are finished. would love to see it, Take care, Steve

20

hello ,hola , stevemo's garage , thanks for your information ,jose manuel in puerto rico , you have tel. number for call ? my # cel. 787-602-7096 ,only i speak espanol

15

10/29/12 Just found a T-Top Regal for sale if anyone is interested, here is the link for it. Looks like a restorable car and appears to be all there, it is a running car for about $1350.00 http://project-cars.com/classifieds/details.php?id=389&back_ref=recent_ads.php?page=4&order=date_added&order_way=desc&page=4

30

Nice cars. I have a 1977 Buick Regal with Hurst Hatch T-Tops. I am the 4th owner but the first out of the family, three others in the family owned it, don't know how many were made. Johnny

10

I had a 1976 firethorn red Regal with a white landau top. It had the S/R options, but not the full S/R package. It had the simulated rally wheels (hubcaps, but looked good), the notchback reclining bucket seats, the chrome and woodgrain console, a fully loaded Regal, all by options, without the true S/R package. Apparently the original owner ordered it from the factory with the 231 V-6 engine, which is where he made the mistake. It was a beautiful car, and I drove it for a few years...but at 58,000 miles, the engine was shot, and the car was only six years old. It was probably one of my most favorite cars by looks, but not a very good mechanical car. I went back to V-8 engines after that.

45

I have a question, I have a 1976 Buick regal and on the sides it has a space for a script regal emblem but it is two more holes for another emblem and I have the slightest idea what it would be. If anyone knows please let me know...thx

dad bought NEW a 1977 "century" s/r that was optioned just like this. only red with red/white interior bucket seats and all... i quoted the "century" because it was a regal with a century front clip.. it was totaled in an winter accident and ive been trying to replace it since. ive been told several times that my car was never produced. somewhere i have a photo.. .who know, will try to find

45

Buick did make a 1976 buick regal s/r not just for skylark

10

I have a 76 buick regal sr with 18k original miles only driven to car wash and back in garage bought brand new my grandfather watched it go down the line still 100 percent original it was a friend of my grandfathers car but he needed money so he sold him the car they worked in gm together for years shoot me an offer

10

sent you a private message.

Hey Mark how are you I maybe interested in the regal do you have a contact number or e mail me at stsvt@aol.com thanks have a good day

sorry you name is not mark lol

10

Hey johnnylee81, I sent you a PM on this as well several days ago.

Hello Jonnylee81 give me your contact info I want to know more about your regal s/r thanks e mail me at stsvt@.com

25

I've owned a 1977 regal S/R in 1980 -1994 rusted, and now a 1976 Regal S/R 2007-present. I do Know S/R means Sport/Reclining [came from a old flyer in my owners manual] meaning Recline Buckets Sport Steering Wheel High Beams on The Column there's, no Rally in a large Buick .. Hurst T-Tops That Was A Option, a lot of people didn't like them known to Leak. I had one with and one without T-Tops The one without still listed as S/R But...No Emblem On Sail Panel. Landau emblem on vinyl top. Far as #s made ? there was a lot with buckets not as many with the s/r but nowhere near olds cutlasses with buckets and a lot rusted and are gone. So we definitely have keepers.

25

P/S on Hurst option That would be the 1976 Buick Century Free Spirit pace car replica's optioned by Hurst and only made around 1,200 of those. And even those Hurst T-Tops Where a Option Less than 200est.of non T-tops special order

25

Manjohn1,,Says I was wrong on the S/R Meaning It is Sport Rally. Plus the 76 Free Spirit Indy Replica Was Altered By Hurst. So it's basically a Hurst/Buick

10

I am looking for a 1977 Regal. I am looking for one with bucket seats, It does not need to have the T Tops. Anyone have any leads?

680

From the "standard catalog of Buicks" shows there were 124,498 Regal coupes built in 1976. While it does not give a breakdown of the number built, it does say...the RS package included reclining front bucket seats, large center console with shift lever, Rallye steering wheel, headlight dimmer in the turn signal lever and steel-belted radial white wall tires ($379 option) The Hurst hatch roof was $550 on a Regal coupe.

10

I am still on the hunt for a '76 Regal S/R with T-Tops. if anyone comes across one, please let me know, thanks.

10

FOR SALE!!..(5-1-2016)....I have a 1977 Buick Regal S/R with Hurst T- tops, bucket seats, console w/ T shifter, V8 350, all original, no winters ever. Car is red. Contact me at gaprovenzano@aol.com or call (716) 434-1568 (Western New York)

Good concept but the technology - and car stability in the event of a roll over - simply was not there. I had a 1976 fire engine red REGAL with Hurst T-top. I pinstriped it. Very flashy. Red carpets and white front buckets and white rear bench seat. Purchased from Bayshore Buick. Reportedly, one of the first T- top products on Long Island. It leaked for two years straight despite being brought back 12 times. Really broke my heart because I wanted to love the car. Each time I went to pick up the car I refused it because the mechanics got grease on the seats or carpets or both. After a long period of time, the leak was down to a trickle and I kept a small pail in the car. Eventually I sold it.