what would cause misfiring to bounce around from one cylinder to another in 88 Fiero.

90

Asked by Jul 10, 2015 at 08:49 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

yesterday mechanic said one cylinder out. today checking...not sure which cylinder it is...
misfiring bouncing around from cylinder to cylinder... mechanic will continue to check.
Since it's not just one cylinder out it's obvious its not just a bad spark plug...plug wire
would act like that? or valve train?

60,225

Check the distributor module and the distributor,for random misfiring.

90

Thanks for this info.It gives me something to swing by the mechanic. so sure they will appreciate a back seat helper. LOL!!!

60,225

You are welcome,and it dont mahter who tells you whats wrong,the only issue is getting it fixed,good luck with it.

19,765

also check the dist. shaft for any play..test or change all plug wires/cap/rotor....

59,115

Also check the vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms in the distributor. One other thing, not trying to be a wise guy but how old is the mechanic who's working on this car? If he's a young fellow he's not going to have any idea of what he's looking at. This car is 27 years old. You want an older mechanic working on it. Late 40s or older. Back in the '80s I was running into the same thing with my cars from the '60s. Even as recently as 2012 with my '93 Caprice, that I bought new, had the youngsters scratching their heads. HTH. -Jim

90

T_S_T you are so right...just get it fixed!

90

Kelly you answered yesterday too...thanks. taking note of all possibilities and running them by mechanic.

90

Js08016 thanks for your input today also...and you're not being a wise guy. Thought of that my self but there is a large staff at this place and some older. Talking to parts manager and he worked w/ Fiero's way back when and can't understand not getting his know how. Even though been driving new cars for many years this cylinder issue is a flashback into the past and there were just so many fixes...you all have mentioned them and hopefully they will figure it out. They looked at it for first time late this afternoon and were doing "testing" to see what was what and will keep checking it out on Monday. JUST get it fixed and move on! Thanks again.

59,115

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim