Will a 1987 Engine fit in a 1988?

Asked by Sep 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

A head gasket blew in my 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT and the mechanic says that I need a
new engine. I found a complete 87 Fiero Motor V6 on Craig's List. Can I put the 1987 in
my 1988 Fiero GT. Asking price is $300.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero

26,145

Hmmm? Where do I begin here? First of all, to answer your question, Yes...the '87 and '88 2.8 L V6 engines are compatible and interchangeable (nothing changed but the year...and 1988 was the LAST year for the Fiero). I had an '87 Fiero GT that was plagued with overheating problems, which likely was a contributing factor to your head gasket blowing. After getting a rebuilt engine and rebuilt tranny and driving her for a little while after all of that, I eventually sold the car to a co-worker for his kid who blew up the engine after trying to drag race with it ------> Here's the bottom line though IMO: That engine bay is very tight (and can barely breathe and cool itself off in there) and putting in a new engine without making some changes to improve engine cooling will invite the same problems you had with the '88 engine. Just sayin' ...Good Luck with it :)

26,145

Some ideas that I wish I had used for Engine Venting and Cooling ...This first pic would have been a PERFECT OEM solution for better venting.

26,145

Now..as far as "forced air cooling", while I don't like the way this looks, it makes ALL the sense in the world as far as pushing air back to the mid-engine to keep her cool and help with the overheating issues.

nice pix Racer_X these buggies are not strange to you~ I am impressed~~!

26,145

Thanks Judge! I've actually owned 2 mid-engined sportscars.....The '87 Fiero GT and a 1993 Toyota MR2. In my opinion, nothing drive quite like a mid-engine car...handling is incredible due to having the weight more evenly distributed on the car. Wish Toyota still made the MR2 (not that ugly MR-S convertible though...that was a joke). MR2 pictured below:

26,145

And now ...the later incarnation of the MR2,..called the MR-S (S for Spyder), still mid-engined, but now a convertible and ugly, IMO. Out of production, thankfully....lol

Buckminster Fuller had it right....cars of the day were more efficient driving in reverse...his design the "4-D Dymaxion" automobile with only three wheels did amazing until he tried to impress some foreign investors and smashed it~