what should I look for when buying a 1987 fiero gt

Asked by May 19, 2011 at 12:08 AM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

What known problem areas should I check when purchasing a 1987 Fiero GT ?
Thank you.

3,135

Be good at releasing seatbelt to escape fire. Fuel line leakage not uncommon. Since body is fiberglass, this car will literally burn to ground.

sorry,look in another direction.

110

@Momba21 I dont know where people get that information. I can tell you have never owned a Fiero, and you are only repeating what other misinformed people say. According to the NHTSA, there were only 135 confirmed complaints of engine fires in 1984-1988 Pontiac Fieros. Out of the total production run of 370,168 cars, that is only 0.0003, or 0.03%. Also, how is the car going to burn to the ground when a Fiero is mostly steel? The Fiero has about 200lbs of body panels on it. The rest is a steel frame/engine/interior/etc. Fieros weigh between 2550 and 2850lbs. I happened to do my research before I opened my mouth.

110

Most problems int he GT 2.8L V6) are ignition module, trunk corners (Rust. Look under carpet in sides of trunk), and the rear bank of plugs are a PITA to change. Otherwise, the Fiero is a very easy car to work on.

Best to Go to a library and look up the Fiero on consumer reports. They are not biased and do not accept any advertisements. The Fiero was trouble from the start. Only the uneducated who like the cars looks can say this was a good car. It was composed of other GM cars. The X-car and Chevette -two of the worst cars in history make up over 75% of the Fiero. Great Idea gone wrong by GM's Arrogance.

Read Number 5. http://blog.motorists.org/10-cars-and-concepts-that-deserved-to-be-crushed/

295

so the fire issue was only really a problem on the 84 with the iron duke... i'm not aware it was ever an issue on the v6 and the fiero is not a bad car by any means. it is not as good as it could have been, but ask any fiero owner and they will tell you its a blast to drive and they don't regret it.

look for another car !

295

Here's a more helpful response. Go to Pennock's Fiero Forum and ask there. They'll be helpful and not push you to look for another car. Heck, someone on there might even offer to sell you one or help you look one over. The members are very knowledgeable and can tell you specific things to check. If it becomes overwhelming and doesn't peak your interest any more, then look elsewhere, but give the car a chance before people who have probably never owned, worked on, driven, or maybe even seen the car influence your decision.

10

I was racing my 87FieroGT Fast back against some Acura. I was well ahead of him going over the bridge, it was lightly raining out, the roads were slick. I then jerked the steering wheel to much and spun out in a 360 and totally smacked the back end into the barricade. Engine was running fine but whole back end pushed in! Luck I was safe, no fire! I just bought it to for $5K with less then 60,000km on her. Ended up selling it for $1000. That was back in 1994 some time. front end was far to light in weight! I miss that car! The loud grawl of that engine turned serious heads! Original owner had it storage for few years then decided to sell for family reasons.