Head light doors or head lights

30

Asked by Oct 01, 2010 at 12:16 AM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE

Head lights come on but can't quite push open the doors on the hood all the and
they just back in'

i had the same problem there are nobs on the top of the motors try adjusting those, if that doesnt work then your motors may not have the power needed to even lift them and may have to buy new or refurbished ones. and if one motor needs to be replaced you might as well just replace them both...cuz the other on is prolly getting close to shot anyways and the motors are only gonna get more expensive...

30

Those nobs on the headlite motors, are they for ajusting the lift on the doors or are they just a manual override

they are pretty much a manual override so u will have to either keep ur headlights up or twist the nobs back down...new motors are the best bet thou

30

Those knobs are just manual overrides. the doors worked just fine after I bought it but on the way back to colorado they wouldn't lift the doors, left motor seems strong, right seems weak. Car only .has 34000 miles on it. Thanks for the reply. Tom

30

Thanks for your reply. Tom

30

Thanks for your reply, where can headlite motors be purchased or rebuilt? Tom

well i shopped around local stores and got a price of 108 at napa, with a 35$ core charge, but if u take the old ones in no need to worry about core charge.....u can shop around online and prolly find cheaper but the best of luck to ya

255

The gears in your head light motors are going. You need to replace or rebuild them.

30

I'm told I can get rebuild kits, are they plastic gears or brass? Are their any diagrams on rebuilding them? Tom

265

Go to Rodney Dickman's site. He sells a repair kit for $17 (including shipping) I just fixed one of mine. It's not too tricky. What has happened, most likely, is that the torque pins (basically a plastic cylinder) has probably ground down to nothing. You will need to replace those. The $17 will get you pins for both lights and side seals, which I would replace with the pins as they are pretty fragile and may not be in good enough condition to reuse. It's only $2 for both seals, so it's a good precautionary step. There are also rebuild kits that use a metal gear, but odds are the gear is fine and will always be fine since it's the pins that wear out. http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=231 Also, if you want a REAL fiero forum, go join pennock's. The people on there are really helpful and know their stuff.