Broken ??? Connected to AC Compressor

5

Asked by Feb 27, 2011 at 06:55 PM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero Base

Hello club members! I just purchased a non-running 87 Base Fiero for $300. I was told that the last time it was started all kinds of fluids shot out from under the engine so the previous onwer turned it off and never tried to start it again. After a bit of a non-technical inspection is found what appears to be a pipe/tube attached to the compressor is completely broke off. I'm not exactly sure what this is however. I have attached a photo for your viewing pleasure. Can anyone help me verify that this is part of the AC system and then point me in the right direction for a DIY repair? Thoughts ideas and conjecture welcome!

5

Here is an additional picture. The broken pipe/tube is wrapped up in the silver sleeve shown by the firewall. Identification of what it is will be greatly appreciated.

1,785

Is that broken line comming from the firewall? or going to the front of car? Its either the vacumm AC hose or suction AC hose. Also we be a good idea to replace the reciver dryer/accumulator because the system has been exposed to air.

5

The broken line goes through the silver sleeve in the second picture then joins to a rubber hose which then goes into the firewall, presumably to the front of the car. I assume that it is part of the A/C and your idea about replacing the accumulator is a good idea. What I don't know is what the broken line is connected to. I think it is the A/C compressor, but none of the manuals and diagrams that I have seen have these metal lines coming out of the compressor so I'm not sure. I would think that I will need to replace the compressor as well. Can the car run with this broken line? I need to get it to a repair shop but don't want the silly thing overheating. If I turn off the A/C will there be any problems? Thanks again for your help!

1,785

Yes it is connected to the AC compressor, and that line is the Suction AC line. For replacing the compressor itself there not cheap. Just checked autozone website and there 220 bucks.It might need a new one depending how long its been in that condition.Might beable to pickone up ar a local junkyard for cheaper. The car can run with the broken line wont over heat, but you wont have any AC.

5

Thanks for the info Buc! Living in Phoenix makes having A/C a requirement for comfortable transportation. I'll check out the local Pick-n-Pull to see if the 2 Fieros on the lot still have the compressor and suction lines.

1,785

Glad to help, good luck. :D

that is not a single line , it's two lines with one fitting to the compressor . one side goes to the reciever/dryer the othe side goes to the expansion valve . you would have to change most of the a/c system to get it to work again . also has no effect what so ever on running the engine . so if the car doesn't run it's NOT because of the a/c.

295

that section of line is a separate piece from the rest of the ac system. I've been slowly removing mine for a while since I intend on running the car at SCCA autocross events and just took that particular section out not too long ago. I'd offer to mail it to you but I think it already went to the scrapyard since I have no use for it. I do still have my compressor sitting in the garage. Can't promise it works since it was one of the first things to come off the car. One thing you can do to check the rest is to buy a belt that does NOT include AC and see if the engine runs fine with it disconnected, then you can save the belt just in case something happens down the road. New belt is not that expensive and would let you easily diagnose the rest of the car since the AC might be the source of the fluid. You might also ask the previous owner what color the fluid was since most automotive fluids have a distinctive color to make them easier to identify.