my fiero was running fine. I had just changed the rotors and brakes now it wont turn over.

Asked by Feb 27, 2017 at 05:46 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

my fiero was running fine. I had just changed the rotors and brakes pads. now it wont turn over. I replaced the starter and battery and still just a click when i turn the key. I have checked the voltages between the two bat terminals, they are at 12.53, when I check the voltage between the + and the block it changes to 12.43. any body know what this could be?

Check your grounds, I had a similar issue occur (it was with a different car, though). I had to clean the grounds on the car with a wire brush.

Ok, Any other suggestions. I replaced both the ground cable and the hot. same thing just click, click, click, when I turn the key. when I get under and try to jump the starter all I get is the same click. The motor is not frozen. I can turn it with the crank bolt on the dampener.

Time to check the battery and the starter. sorry for the basic suggestions. The voltage is a little low for my liking being that you should see ~13.5 at those locations. (I feel like you have an issue with your starter, honestly)

I put my charger on it and brought the voltage up to 15.25 and still nothing. I am thinking you are correct with it being the starter. I'm going to pull it back out tomorrow and have it tested. unfortunately it is brand new(not a rebuild). But as with all manufacturing there sometimes are lemons.

Most likely the starter or the solenoid attached to the starter. Check all the cables running to the starter and alternator for corrosion build up. Sometimes the craziest things happen to these cars while working on them. Never ceases to amaze and frustrate me.