What is leaking

Asked by Apr 13, 2016 at 01:39 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

I have an 86 Fiero GT. I was driving and all a sudden a leak happened by the
feet area on passanger side, then started smoking. I dont know what it is
leaking but i seems like it has something to do with AC. The liquid is green, i
was curious if it is an AC problem, can i re route the belt and take the AC out.
Will that stop the leaking if there is no AC at all?

292,765

It's coolant, and your heater core has sprung a leak. It's located between the firewall. Nothing to do with the AC. Look online for some help, but usually a heater core replacement requires removal of the dashboard. So lots of labor hours.

Thank you! How would i begin to check these problems?

292,765

You already checked it. Are you going to fix yourself or have a mechanic replace it? You don't want to continue to drive with it leaking, because now you are low on coolant and could overheat. The fiero's get hot as it is and don't need a low coolant level to make it worse. I was wrong about ripping out the dash, in one minute I found this video. Good Luck!.......https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=QLtVct522qs

70

you can bypass the heater core in the from where the spare tire is by plugging the two heater hoses together there. You best pull the heater core out and either have a radiator shop patch it or buy a new one from fierostore.com. pop it in and hook up and good to go. I would clean out the hole though to get rid of the green radiator fluid though as it is kind of stinky in my opinion. I read the other comments and I think they are correct.. read them and I think you are on the right path here..