Should I get an '86 Fiero GT?

Asked by Mar 01, 2012 at 11:18 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I'm search of some advice and wisdom. I currently have an '87
Camaro Z28 that turned out to be more a hassle than I hoped and I've been trying to trade it for the
right vehicle. Ive had several tempting offers, but one seems to have piqued my interest. It's an '86 GT
notchback with 120k miles and seems to be in good condition. Now i now the 86 gt's were mostly
fastbacks but he swears its a gt notchie and was manufactured in december of 85 before the
fastback was introduced. Now I'm a Pontiac freak but the Fiero is still rather new to me and I was
hoping some of this could be cleared up for me by some experts on the Fiero. I am aware that, like all
cars, Fieros have their fair share of problems and I'm hesitant because I dont want to be stuck with a
junk heap again. Opinions, feelings, info are all welcome. Thank you.

5

You'll love it. Is it in good condition? Well, about all you can do is ask the owner, drive it, and look at the condition of the oil. I had an 87 GT with 130k miles before it was t-boned and it ran better that my 88 Mera with 70k. You really can't tell 'til you own it. Value? check here: http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm

255

The big issue with them is hidden rust. The best place to start looking is in the rear trunk. You can pull the liner away in the areas behind the wheels. If you can see some rust at 120k you should be ok, but if there is metal missing....? Also check the engine frame area and the radiator support bars for run thru. Other than that go with Paul's advise because he is the man in the know on these cars.

5

all old cars like the fieros and camaros will have thier quirks. it all depends on how they have been taken car of in thier past. fieros are great cars and a blast to drive. i own an 85 2m4 sport

120

I have an 84 Indy Fiero with 50,000 or so on it it's in pretty good shape in the interior looks brand new it was given to me as a gift but it set under a car cover for about 10 years and never moved nor was it ever started has the 2.5 liter Iron Duke in it should I be weary about this motor I've heard bad things about it but then I've heard great things about it so I guess I'm just kind of in the dark on it the car looks brand new except some faded paint on hood and the trunk via being under a car cover outside for 10 years oh and the motor is locked up what do you think the chances are that I will be able to turn this cast iron block over also some tips of things to look for on this Fiero would be great I've got a basic feel for them mechanically due to the basic maintenance and Advanced Maintenance books that came with it also has the original window sticker from the car lot in it LOL and a lot of other cool stuff that came with the car