I must replace my clutch and...thinking of replacing my 2.8 with a 3.4 dual twin cam v-6..any positive experiences with this?... what am I setting myself up for? any 'Real costs" of what it takes ?

45

Asked by Nov 01, 2011 at 05:01 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

Is this a good swap?  what kinda gas milage do you get?  any Overheating problems? Best swap kit ???

6,725

i think a 3.8l swap is better... more power & reliable.

55

I know two people that have done the 3.4 DOHC swap. I would go to Pennock's and do some research. Just about any motor can be installed if you have the money and ability. http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi

260

Real costs? $2k if you start with a good 3.4. If you can't hear and test the running 3.4 in the donor, more than likely you will be hosed. Upside? Lots of nice revs at top end (unlike the 2.8) and the world's sexiest exhaust note. Downside? If you ride in a series II 3.8 Fiero, you will not believe the difference. Racers Rule even today -- ain't no substitute for cubic inches (with a supercharger on top!) As regards the northstar, same rule and add 2 cylinders. Just smoother that the 3.8, but half the reliability. Best NOrthstar bet -- crate engine from the dealer. $3000 for trans build, exhaust, wiring, etc. Thats if you do the work. And you're still stuck with Chevette brakes and frontend. The FUN is lighting up the tires at anytime at any speed. Cars take notice, but if you bluff your way up against our RS6 Audi, lesson learned. Good luck. P.S. Fieros are climbing in value. Nice.