fiero wont start

Asked by Oct 31, 2012 at 06:10 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

i just picked up a se from a field, it had been there for 6 years.. i put in a new battery and the only thing im getting is accessories to power on headlights power windows.. etc.. doesnt sound like fuel pump kicks on and when you turn the key nothing happens at all.. Where should i start? i know starter has to be replaced, already got new plugs, wires, dist cap.. it's manual also
please help

Andrew Welsh

Check to see if fuel is spraying out of injector. If no, check to see if injector is bad. test with a noid light. Check for spark with a timing light. Also would be good to make sure the valves are operating correctly. Basically, just start with your 3 basic elements for combustion: fuel, air and spark. I can tell you I have never heard my fuel pump, but that might have to do with my fan coming on when the key is in the "run" position (not my doing). If there was gas in the tank, pump might be bad too since letting gas sit tends to be rather hard on things. If it is empty, I would replace it anyway since it's likely overdo for that fix and a new pump isn't all that expensive (~$50 or so) and hey, no gas to worry about dumping everywhere, especially on yourself (personal experience... again, not my fault... I blame bmw for poor packaging decisions). Of course before you can do anything, starter will need to be taken car of so it at least turns over... o, and one more thing... try pulling the plugs and turning it over by hand. It should turn fairly easily. If not, then you may have bigger issues, namely the engine might have seized or be otherwise locked up and thus a very large paperweight Hope that helps!

Check for rodent nests. You may have bitten through broken wiring.

Andrew Welsh

Also, you probably have this already, but just to check... you do have to push the clutch in for the engine to start. Assuming you knew that, it might be worth checking the switch for that system. If there is an issue there, it won't do anything

I pulled an 86 base model out of the weeds after it sat for 12 years...I know the feeling. First of all, you will definitely need a new fuel pump. Even after 6 years the fuel (the pump sits in) in the tank will varnish and will clog up the insides of the pump. I recommend the Bosch brand fuel pump kit. It comes with all new wires, gaskets and a new hose piece. It also has a lifetime guarantee. I have heard that other brands work for a few months or a year and then stop. When you turn the key to 'on', you should hear a single click come from the engine compartment after about 2 seconds. That is the fuel pump relay. If you do not hear this click check the 10 amp 'fuel pump' fuse located on the fuel panel under the dash. The fuel pump and the injector will need to be replaced to ensure proper fuel delivery. The injector is essentially an electric motor that sprays fuel. When the fuel varnishes it will be stuck. Buy a re manufactured one and get a throttle body kit (gaskets, o-rings etc). Mine did not turn over at first and it ended up being because the ground lead coming off of the battery was corroded where it attaches to the engine. Take it off and clean it with sand paper and put a little dielectric grease on it. Plugs,wires and cap and rotor, of course. When you go to try and start it, make sure all vacuum lines are ok. You may want to unhook the one going to the EGR valve (round, probably rusty thing just infront of the throttle body) and plug that vacuum hose. The EGR can mess with the engine and cause it not to start at all after sitting for a long time. It will run fine without it. Put plenty of fuel in it and with your new fuel pump, throttle body kit and new injector, it should be getting fuel! (note- fuel will not spray out of the throttle body until it is turned over. not just on 'on'). Let us know how it turns out.

Fred Roth

if your fan runs all the time just unhook the lower wire on the ac compressor. when one switches to r134a it seems not not work right. or is just bad. also after removing the wire dont leave the defrost on while sitting for long periods of time, the fan doesnt run in defrost and the head pressure will build and pop the high pressure relief valve. venting your refrigerant

is it auto or manual? 4cyl or 6cyl? not enough data to accurately diagnose.. if manual there is a neutral switch that has to be made. I think manual also has one too on clutch too though.. those describe what you are saying if I undersand correctly... try that as a starting point and update your description better.