Pontiac Fiero 2M4 engine swap with 2.2L Ford Probe GT engine.

Asked by Feb 18, 2009 at 09:31 AM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

I need to find a different engine to swap into my Fiero. The 4 cylinder I have is nearing the end of its days and unlike doing the usual and dropping a V6 or V8 into it I would rather keep the fuel economy and just get a more powerful 4 cylinder engine. One I was looking into was the 2.2L Turbo engine from a Ford Probe GT and I was wondering if the mounts would be close enough to MacGyver the engine in there some how. Any inquiries are appreciated

25

it would be very difficult to drop a ford engine into a fiero. not impossible but very hard. the engine mounts are pretty different, and unless you'd also have to change the flywheel, and perhaps the transmission as well because the flywheel it totally different. your best bet would be to stick with gm engines. i would try maybe picking up a little 4 cylinder engine from a junked cavalier. those cars are everywhere so it shouldn't be hard to find. That should bolt up pretty easy. If your looking for more power and have access to the right tools, you could bore out the cylinders for a little added power, or just consider a bolt on turbo. Then again, you'd be surprised at what a new intake and exhaust can do for it. Oh, and depending on where you live, you might want to make sure the new engine is fuel injected for easy starts in the winter months. Good luck to you sir. Personally, i'd say screw the fuel economy and drop a chevy small block in there. That's what my girlfriends dad did with his 87 gt, and that thing will burn brand new c6 corvettes, trust me, we've done it. I'll be doing the same with my 86 this summer.

7,015

i've heard of gm v-6 s being put in most. v-6s are ok for fuel consumption. my 3.8 get 26 hwy and 21 in the city if i'm judicious. try kit car mag for info on egine swaps.

135

there is a kit now becoming available to put the new GM eco tec engine into the fiero, i personally dont know of how difficult it is but it is worth a shot, especially since the eco- tec was put into the fastest 4 cyl production car, i topped out at 200. and btw, do you really want anything even called a probe behind you, even if it is just an engine?

125

I agree with Ben ^^^ go with the ecotec. ive been doing lots of research on these motors the last few months and theres enormous potential for these 4 bangers. you can find a 2.2 Ecotec from a 2002 cavy to new cobalts. they're all aluminum blocks, aluminum head, factory head gasket can handle 12psi of boost (easily get a Cometic gasket to handle 32lbs i believe), stock cank holds till 500hp! the only real downfall to this motor when it comes to modding is the stock connecting rods, those will start to go at around 275-300hp. but even in its stock form, the 2.2 is 60-70'lbs less than the duke, 160hp vs. the 95ish from the duke...newer technology..modern 4-cyl mileage..whats not to like?? lol..oh did i mention that this is my plan for my Indy? :D

45

i just finished my 3800sc swap in mine, ok all most finished its running. i would saw if your going to do a swap you are going to want to stay in the gm family. the 3800sc is a good motor but if you want a 4 banger i think you should go ecotech, but if you dont want to spend that kind of money and im guess this is the case because you where talking about the probe engine i would say do a gm quad 4 and turbo it.