Lost keys to 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT

Asked by Jun 04, 2015 at 11:12 AM about the 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT

I only got a square key and a round key when I got the car. I guess the square was for the door and ignition and the round for the back, I can't remember. Anyway, I don't have any keys for this car. What do I do? Don't want to get a locksmith, they'll charge an arm and leg. Thanks.

23,225

Hmm, you don't want to go to a locksmith? REALLY, what are your alternatives? I would say nothing! Unfortunately, you lost all your keys, so, you cannot even start the car? When was the last time you used your car? I've got some good news for you. Yes, they're not cheap, but, at least the keys you need are not as expensive as modern keys. Years ago, I misplaced the keys I had to a locking gas cap. I was on a road trip and discovered that I had no way to open up the tank to add gasoline, a major problem. So, I called the AAA and they sent out a locksmith who made a "negative impression" from the inside of the lock, then cut a positive key that would open the gas cap. You see, they're professionals. Now, with a new car and the key transponders, its largely electronic and the cost to produce a new key is between $350 to $700. I'm not kidding, you absolutely don't want to lose those. So, when you said you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, consider yourself very lucky that you have an older car. Good luck. I would start by calling the AAA first if you have their service, they will probably refer you to a locksmith or charge you, but, they'll either do it from their contracted service agents or find someone who can help you and will not rip you off.

23,225

By the way, my old car was a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, so, I know they can help you. Not bad that you 85 Fireo is still on the road. I can't believe that this was 30 years ago! Time flies. Those were pretty hot cars when they came out.

24,035

Yes, the key with the square head was the ignition key- that's the way GM does it- a locksmith doesn't charge that much- or you can just change the ignition switch- but that doesn't get you into the doors- I had an '85 Fiero and loved it- does it have the original nose? Those were the best- if you don't want that car, I'll take it- and get a key made-

23,225

The round key should open the door and the trunk if I recall that correctly, check it out.