what tools do i need for my door replacement?

5

Asked by Nov 04, 2013 at 03:26 PM about the 1985 Pontiac Fiero SE

im not a mechanic and i want to go smoooothly, god i love my car i dont want to damage
it any further. + any tips would be greatly appreciated

6,725

#1 Find something that is solid and about the same height off the ground as the bottom of your car door with a blanket or pad on top of it. this will help when unbolting and reinstalling the new door on so you don't have to hold it up the whole time. Wood blocks, cement blocks, bricks with a piece of wood on it covered with an old blanket will work fine. #2 Check to make sure all electrical and mechanical items are the same, IE bolting holes, size of bolts, number if electrical connections in the harness and connectors are the same design. #3 Remove electrical connector or cable for mirror operation, from door BEFORE removing door to body bolts. #4 Remove body to door bolts while leaning over door, that way the door wont fall over into the car unless you push it. #5 Set old door away rom car so you don't trip over it when installing new door. #6 Set new door on to item of correct height (with blanket or padding so as not to ruin paint) then slowly slide forward to match up bolt holes and install bolts BUT DONT SNUG DOWN TIGHT. #7 Install electrical wiring connectors and cable for mirror (if so equipped) then slowly close door to check for alignment. #8 Holding door handle open on the outside, slowly close door while listening for the door post to go into the body latch. If all is aligned correctly the door post will gently go into the body latch mechanism and pull free from the mechanism as well. THEN tighten down door to body bolts securely.

5

ty fordtutor :) its 7pm here and i have to work early in the am but i am gonna stay up all nite if i have to because i am so happy to have my perfect fiero back. yeay!

5

ps: i can already tell that the bottom hinge bolts are gonna be a *#@%