Fiero '84 2m4 se automatic how to know if engine and starter need to be replaced?

Asked by Apr 07, 2016 at 04:05 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE or Indy

It was driven with check engine light on for 15 min, there were no oil at all, then
added 4 qts of oil, it started and drove fro 15 min, it died and tower to auto
shop, mechanic says Engine and Starter need to be replaced but want to
make sure it will work after replace them.

21,985

oh wow- a new engine will be expensive- the starter is probably ok- unless you have a lot of different things wrong- at least get a second opinion- that diagnosis sounds fishy somehow- that's a cool car- but it would be cheaper to just buy another Fiero- they don't cost much- and this time you can get one with a V6-

what would I do with this one?

21,985

OK- if that Fiero is in excellent shape, and I mean almost like new, everything, interior, chassis, paint- it is worth saving, worth putting money into- and from the photo it looks like it is worth saving- FIRST thing- get a second opinion, from a good garage, another mechanic- have them do a compression test and find out of the engine is really bad, or if it can be easily fixed- you may get lucky- at least you will know EXACTLY what you are dealing with- and how much it would cost- worst case- if the engine IS blown, and you don't want to deal with restoring that car, (and it IS a cool car) then you can sell it for a few hundred bucks to someone who will replace the engine and recycle that Fiero- heck, I like them so much, I would try to save it- anyway, there ya go, a path is laid out for you- good luck

60

you have oil in it now? Does the engine turn over? does it sound like there is metal grinding in it? Give some update as to what it is doing there.. I expect you just need to have it flushed out if that is the case. I would rebuild the engine before buying a new car as long as the pistons have not popped through the cylinder walls that is... LOL. Update the post as to what the condition is right now.