How to clean gas out of your cars fuel system

105

Asked by Apr 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE or Indy

So I have an 84 pontiac fiero and it's been
sitting for a while and I just dropped the
tank to dump out the hold gas and clean the
tank. what's the best way to clean out the
rest of the old gas out of all the fuel lines
and systems? I've already cleaned the
throttle body and did the tbi rebuild...

How long is "a while" ? Months?...years...

105

10 years

105

In a heated garage, never seen a winter and stayed covered

Oh well sorry. I only had some generic ideas for that but 10 years..idk Hopefully somebody that knows Fieros will chip in

7,595

Inspect the fuel lines for condition, if ok, open both ends of the fuel line, remove the fuel filter, flush the line out with some carb clean to get any varnish out and for the tank either have it flushed or replaced.

70

If I understand your question as after emptying the tank, I suggest dropping in a bottle of rubbing alcohol and fill it up with real gas (not corn ethanol stuff). The only issue you have is the water that comes from corn gas.. The alcohol will displace the water and force it to burn in the cylinders.. no big deal. this is an old trick from the old days. If your tank has some gas in it, just be sure to fill it the rest of the way with real gas and a bottle of alcohol and let it run for a while.. The alcohol is actually the chemical used in injector cleaner by the way.. alcohol is a higher combustion rate then gas, which will lower the octane level slightly (8 ounces per 10 gas is not much though). That is it! good to go!