2007 Honda Pilot Navi System Giving Disc Read Error

90

Asked by Sep 04, 2011 at 09:32 PM about the 2007 Honda Pilot 4 Dr EX-L

I bought this SUV new back in 2007 and have been using the Navi system every day.  Today it started giving me an error reading "DVD Disc reading error please consult your dealer."

I ran the diagnostics myself, and everything seems to be okay.  The only weird thing is that on the Navi ECU screen, it shows the following:
v-RAM OK
D-RAM OK
GPS OK
DVD-ROM
Serial Number xxxx

So, OKs for everything, but nothing for DVD-ROM.  Also shows Green OK button that diagnostics ran successfully.  

Anybody have any idea what could be going on?

135

I see there are no answers to your question in two months. I occasionally have that error on my Pilot's navigation screen if the weather is really hot and humid and the navigation system has been on and off several times running errands. When that happens, I just turn off the vehicle again and sit for a few seconds, then re-start and everything is ok. I asked my usual Honda dealer's service advisor about it once, and he said it wasn't a big deal unless the system never cleared, then the navigation's DVD player may have dust, dirt, or humidity affecting it, or that rough terrain or passengers/kids inadvertantly kicking the navigation system, or cargo ("junk") in the floor bumping it under the front passenger seat could cause the disk to get out of place or create an error reading. Hope your problem has been resolved.

90

Thanks! That's so nice of you to reply. It turns out that I needed a new unit. If anybody else runs into this, do not bring it to your dealer (who wanted to charge me $2000) or to a mechanics ($455). I sent mine directly to Alpine (shipping one way + $158) and was very happy with the service and result. Upon getting the unit back, you can hook it back up yourself like I did or hire somebody to do it if you're not comfortable with all the wires.

135

I hate hearing you had to replace the navigation unit, but am glad you didn't have to spend big bucks for its replacement!

70

Great suggestion!! For those that still need the help.....I just got off the phone w/ Alpine and they said if you have a perfect circle groove on the outside rim of the disc when you take it out to inspect it, then it is definitely a mechanism problem, not a disc problem! You need to send the unit back to Alpine. He stated that the return time to your vehicle is now about a month due to a slight back log of work. Well worth it, the dealer quoted me a ridiculous price and said to "ride it out" . Not very helpful. Disappointed in Honda's level of service....

20

Hi, pilotgrrl, How did you determine you needed a new unit? sg1234, Did you receive your unit back from Alpine yet? If so, has the problem cleared up? I'm having the same reading. When you say groove on the outside rim, do you mean the outside of either the top or bottom surface, or do you mean in the edge itself? My disc (V 4.63) is losing a lot of the label and I wonder if that is fouling the reader. Any thoughts? Or could the loss of the label indicate a mechanical problem. Is there a particular phone number or person at Alpine to speak with? Thanks in advance.

90

Ack! This is why I shouldn't write stuff before 8am. I actually didn't need a new unit. I just needed a new reader. I just sent my unit to Alpine, and they serviced it. I agree with sg1234...the Honda dealer and all the electronics guys I talked to were very disappointing. Alpine was excellent to deal with. Try giving them a call and see what they say.

20

Wow...I had the same error on our 2007 Pilot EX-L...I noticed the groove on the DVD itself...there is a service bulletin out there, but it is not a recall. I called Honda customer service who told me it would be $3000. I complained and they lowered it to $1500...still ridiculous for a DVD player issue. I've been living with it, but would like to do the call to Alpine directly. Can you post the Alpine contact info you used? Thanks.

10

HELP! Would you please post the Alpine Contact Information!!!!!

70

Just google Alpine USA. Then call the number under "contact us" and they should be able to help. That's how I did it.

It's disappointing there are so many issues reported on the Nav system and honda does nothing about it. Anyway, is the unit easy to remove to send to Alpine?

20

Does anyone have a good set of instructions for removing the Alpine DVD from under the seat? For those who've done it, about how long did it take? Did you have to remove the passenger seat completely to get to the unit? Thanks. Glad to see people having success going directly to Alpine.

70

It does not take that long. My friend and I did it by trial and error. Remove the seat rail covers and move the seat all the way forward first. Then unplug the cables from the rear of the machine. It will take small hands. Then move the seat all the way back and start removing the unit by removing the bolts with a ratchet and extender. I don't remember the size we used. Once all the bolts are removed the unit slides out rather easily. I have since traded in the truck, so I'm just a little foggy on remembering. Hope this helps. Obviously do the opposite to reinstall the unit.

20

Thanks for the answer...much appreciated.

Thanks for this blog! My Honda Dealer wants $2300 to replace and $900 to get someone to fix it! Alpine said a flat rate of $350 plus if you have the damaged DVD they will include a new one! I just have to get it out of the trunk and mail it to them in Torrance CA. It sure pays to search the web!

I have a 2007 Honda Accord with GPS and got the same error message. My GPS unit is in the trunk. I opened it up and ejected the DVD which looked fine. I wiped it off, just in case, and put it back in, but I still got the same disk reading error message. I tried the same process several times but to no avail. I thought maybe Honda had put a 10 year expiration on the DVD so I would be forced to buy a new one from them, but now it sounds like it must be a problem with the disk reader. I guess I'll try to take out the unit and send it to Alpine.

10

called alpine, very helpful-said many folks calling with same issues and 358.00 to fix-I thought 3 weeks was a bit long to wait for unit to return but much cheaper than dealer that most likely send to the same place and add 2000,00 to price.....now to take out ......