new radio install

15

Asked by Feb 09, 2017 at 12:47 PM about the 1999 Acura CL 2.3 FWD

I purchased a single DINN radio to install.  The current factory radio (single
DINN) has a little compartment under it.  From videos I have seen, the radio
and compartment are connected.  Is it possible to connect that compartment
to the after market radio or to the car some how?

20

What you need is a dash kit that is specific to the year, make, model of your car. Go to card.com and find the dash kits. Enter your specs and go from there. Are you planning on installing the aftermarket radio yourself?

20

Sorry - this is an edit to my first reply to Ware re the aftermarket radio installation. Ware, the correct web site is CarId.com. ( Car ID )

15

Yes

15

If I install it without the dash kit then I will just have the empty space under the radio?

20

I bought a Pioneer DEH-X3800UI deck, a BOSS 1100 Riot Monoblock amp, and two MTX 12" Sub woofers in a ported enclosure. I studied, researched, and watched Youtube videos for 3 months ( I kid u not! ) before I felt like I was ready. I popped the dash off, took out the factory head unit, got the main power cable ran from the amp to the battery, mounted the amp to the sub enclosure, and then froze like a deer in the headlights. I wound up taking everything to a reputable shop with professional technicians - and was glad I did. I had no idea that there was so much just to choosing the right wiring harness! Even the professionals tried 3 of them before they got the right one. Anyway, good luck to you! I'm sure that you will do just fine - I think I just bit off way more than I could chew.

20

Ware, yes you should have the compartment beneath the radio, if that's what you mean. What year/make/model is your car?

20

Sorry - I see that you're talking about a '99 Acura CL 2.3. I'm going to search some pictures real quick.

15

I know that the removal video showed that when the radio was removed the compartment came with it so I'm thinking if I remove the radio and the compartment comes with it will there be a gaping hole after I install the new radio? Yeah, if I was doing a massive install like that with amps and all that I would definitely take it to the professionals

20

Is this the kind of space/compartment beneath the radio that you have in your car?

20

https://www.google.com/search? q=1999+Acura+CL+2.3&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isc h&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7x7KczIbSAhXrJJoKHQ_PDooQ_AUICSg C#tbm=isch&q=1999+Acura+CL+2.3+dash+kit+for+aftermarket+radi o&imgrc=_

15

The compartment under the radio is connected to the radio from what I saw in the YouTube video

15

I got the new radio out but now there's a new issue. I guess I need some sort of radio mounting bracket because the new radio is not as deep as the old radio

20

What kind of a radio did you get? And if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it? Most of the time a good dealer will sell you all of the necessary assessories when you buy your radio. Rarely does an aftermarket radio just plug and play. You will end up needing a dash kit, a wiring harness 9 or two or three as in my case, lol ) and God knows what else.

20

I see the space/compartment beneath the radio that you are talking about. There should be a dash kit available that allows for that space. I'll see if I can get some before and after pics of my aftermarket installation. The last thing you want is for there to be be ugly, insightful spaces and visible wires, etc. after you put in this great sounding radio. Crutchfield.com might have some answers for you....I use them and cared.com.

15

It was just to tide me over until I get the one I wanted BUT i took it back b/c I still needed so sort of adapter since the radio wasnt as deep as the factory radio. I will just be patient and keep making different CD to play :(

20

Well good luck to you! I hope you get a new radio in there. You won't regret it if you do!