2002 Chevy Corvette bad BCM/WIRES?

Asked by Mar 03, 2016 at 05:20 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have a 2002 Chevy Corvette. It is an automatic. In the past 4 days my car
would not start. It would turn over but would not start. I had a mobile
mechanic come out and decided it was the alternator. Therefore he replaced it
but it did not fix the problem. He said he is then 100% sure it is an electronic
problem and he is not qualified. I received REDUCED ENGINE POWER and
VOLTAGE "something"-I don't remember and would not go over 10MPH.

I then called another mechanic with more experience. He stated to test the
alternator and battery. I did that at AutoZone and all is well. I did notice when I
wiggled some wires near the battery (I am not sure what they are for) the car
would then start. So I looked closed and there is a black wire that looked really
bad. I replaced that wire and the car started! I then went out later to try to start
it and it wouldn't start or even turn over. I turned the key to the ON position
and the gages all would move for about 10 seconds and then I would see the
CHEVROLET CORVETTE display, the gages would settle back in place and
when I turned the key to start the car, it starts.

The second mechanic stated he thinks it is the BCM. The codes were cleared
and they all had an "H" behind them.

As it stands if I want to drive my car I have to wait for the gages to settle for
about 6-10 seconds and then it will start. Does this sound like a BCM? I
watched a defective BCM on UTUBE and it looked like that car was
possessed! My car is not flashing any lights or anything.

I got in the car and then the driver's side AC wouldn't blow cold air! I then
reset the codes again and it started working. Could this be related to the BCM
as well or pure coincidence?

THANK YOU for any help. If I cannot get this figured out I will have to sell my
Corvette and I absolutely do not want to. God bless you.

71,305

I think I would have the battery cables replaced. And as far as that BCM there would be a code to indicate some freaky thing it might do. So you can have the car scanned for any codes to see if anything is going on there.

4,815

I think "Rowefast" is on the right track and changing the cables and cleaning harness contacts would be a good thing to do since you saw a difference when you played with the battery wiring. Make sure all connections are corrosion free and TIGHT when re-assembling and see what happens (much cheaper than replacing the BCM). Don't give up on it and sell the Vette even if it does turn out to be the BCM.

71,305

taver91 is coming in with a comment, just hasn't posted yet, Just so you know, the BMC would have to be reprogrammed at the dealership.

Yes, the mechanics tested the codes and looked them up and so did Auto Zone. They didn't mention anything odd. I am also aware that it would need to be reprogrammed, I just don't want to go down that route if at all possible but might have to. Thank you Rowefast for the comment and also for letting me know that taver91 will be commenting. Im going to throw the gender card and say, "No one wants to help me cause Im a girl." ha ha : ) (not this forum-the mechanics and such) From what I read on these posts you guys are awesome troubleshooters! All the way in Texas, Jennifer.

71,305

Say thanks Jennifer!

71,305

There must be a problem but this is what taver91 posted..."I think "Rowefast" is on the right track and changing the cables and cleaning harness contacts would be a good thing to do since you saw a difference when you played with the battery wiring. Make sure all connections are corrosion free and TIGHT when re-assembling and see what happens (much cheaper than replacing the BCM). Don't give up on it and sell the Vette even if it does turn out to be the BCM."

4,815

Looks like my reply got lost in space somewhere. Anyway, I added that I thought Rowefast was on the right path by replacing the bat wires first. When doing so, make certain you clean all corrosion away before reconnecting and making all contact points TIGHT. Good luck - and Don't sell the Vette even if it turns out to be the BCM

4,815

Well, looks like my original reply just got posted! Let us know what it turns out to be.

71,305

I've got one hanging out there somewhere also, yours showed up in my e-mail, but not here. This last one made her tho.